Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted file by importing 3ds model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
philip_hon
735 Views, 4 Replies

Corrupted file by importing 3ds model

A serious problem here.

Trying to import a 3ds bridge model with its real coordinates but get my file corrupted, check the first pic.

Instead the model  show as a long loading area. By zooming in in the right  upper corner, I can find my actual model (pic2) but everything including roads, houses and terrain are jumping up and down.

Regenerate the whole model or delete the 3ds model doesnt seems to help. It ends up with my model has disappeared. It is not the first time this happened. I had to recreate the whole thing. 

Anyone who experienced this? Please give a hint.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
r.j.w.cross
in reply to: philip_hon

I have had issues like this before which are generally something to do with bad coordinates, or using the wrong coordinate system. Another option is to just avoid the coordinate system issue and try manually placing the bridge.

Since I have had to deal with lots of data from lots of sources, before I add anything new to my scene that I am not sure about, my workflow involves copying and pasting the sqlite file and corrosponding folder somewhere for safe keeping and if I break the scene deleting those files and replacing them with the back ups. I think IM also supports GIT for file versioning, rolling back, branching etc. but I have not had a chance to try this out.

One last thing that sometimes works is to remove the file that caused the issue, and then add another file that you know works to the scene. This has occasionally flushed out any co-ordinate issues from the model for me that didn't seem to be fixed through refreshing.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 5
philip_hon
in reply to: r.j.w.cross

Thanks for a quick reply.

It happens to work this time by close and open the file. Last time it was totally corrupted. 

Next time when the problem occurs, I will try your method by adding a file with good coordinates and see what happens.

Am I wrong that 3ds model contains real coordinates? 

I put in the bridge manually but its kinda tiny one. That requires me to scale and rotate and replace it. 

Would be nice if i dun need to do it manually. Also its a check that the bridge is connected to the designed road.

Message 4 of 5
r.j.w.cross
in reply to: philip_hon

I don't think 3ds models contain geographic co-ordinates. I am not sure, but a collegue tells me they don't. If you have manged to add some somehow, keep in mind that there are thousnds of different co-ordinate systems and it is important that you get the correct ones. Almost all of my early issues with this software were co-ordinate issues and once I had them figued out, everything came together perfectly.

Also when I have brought in 3D models manually, they have kept the correct scale, so if yours didn't and you have to rescale it that is an indication that something is wrong. Maybe you units are different (meters/feet etc.)?

Message 5 of 5
philip_hon
in reply to: r.j.w.cross

I thought that was a scale issue at first. Because this is a usual problem between road design(work in meter) and construction (millimeter).

There is two way to set up the units AIM. Either in the main properties in the Edit meny or properties for the object. Neither of these changes the size of the bridge. Of course I try to change the main properties first and add the bridge afterwards. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report