Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct way for importing 3D alignments

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
shawnnelson
1582 Views, 10 Replies

Correct way for importing 3D alignments

What is the correct method for importing 3D alignment data into Infrawork? I have tried LandXML, but it does not bring in the profile data. I have tried a 3D polyline in a dwg, but the foreslopes have holes in the triangles. I have also tried IMX, but I when I do the import all I see are surfaces and not alignments.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

My guess would be to explode the alignment, then export it out of Civil 3D as a .shp file.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 11
JamesMaeding
in reply to: shawnnelson

keep in mind that IW only imports solids, not linework.

I would take your 3d plines, and sweep some shape along them to get solids.

If you mean import the actual data, the question would be, import into what?

Do you mean the roads feature available in 2014 Ultimate?

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 4 of 11
shawnnelson
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I think I have it figured out. I tried creating a 3D polyline from the C3D alignment and then I imported the dwg into infraworks. I ended up getting holdes in the foreslopes, but I noticed that Infraworks was creating a flattened polyline along with the 3D ployline. I deleted the flattened one and everything look good now. 

Message 5 of 11
thoellering2
in reply to: shawnnelson

I thought you could just link the alignment directly from C3D, and if it updated, it would auto reload. And any modifications done to the road in IW would be translated back to C3D. No?

Thomas

Message 6 of 11
thoellering2
in reply to: thoellering2

I exported an alignment for a road into a SDF File using the "EXPORTTOSDF" command. That worked. However, when I tried to load the file for the camera pathing, it told me that I needed to have the "Road Extension" or "Ultimate Package" or something like that. Obviously I have neither. What must I do to get that?

Thomas

Message 7 of 11

That's going to be the Ultimate Suite or the InfraWorks Pro.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 11

OK - great. I have our Tech guru look into that.

By the way, some of the roads we design and build here in Alaska are made out of wood...think of a Boardwalk, but made for vehicular traffic. I'm sure I'd have to fudge something up for that...

Thomas

Message 9 of 11

That can be accomplished by editing the style in the style palette.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 10 of 11

Our tech downloaded a trial version of the Ultimate Package, but it is not apparent what we need out of it. When he tried to install it, it said he already had this installed. We have the Premium Infrastructure Suite.

Help!

Thomas

Message 11 of 11
thoellering2
in reply to: thoellering2

OK - thats been resolved. I loaded it up and sketched in a "Design Road". Question:

1. Why did it come out flat and not follow the contours of the terrain?

2. Can I convert an existing sketched in road to a Design Road?

3. Can I set the road I draw to automatically snap like +2 feet above the existing terrain, not matter what, and or then also maintain a max slope? How do I do that?

Any other "do this first" help would be much appreciated. Not a road designer...just a CAD tech with limited Road Design Experience.

Thank you

Thomas

PS: Any cool tutorial videos?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report