Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting AutoCAD shapes to 3D models

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
k.lew
425 Views, 2 Replies

converting AutoCAD shapes to 3D models

Essentially I've got a site plan with building footprints.  Since my buildings are all the same, I'm looking for a simple way to import these footprints as 3D models.  However, some of my streets are rotated but Infraworks just places the 3D model at the center of the rectalinear bounding box, not accounting for rotation.  See attached image.  

The green with gray outline coverages represent the rotated footprints I have.  The white is the 3D model, but I want it to rotate accordingly.  Anybody figure out a way to do this?? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: k.lew

Hi Kelsey,

one way to achive what you want:

I you had a shape file for the building footprints and the shape file has attributes for each building such as rotation and scale, you were able to import the data and use a 3D model as style.

The attributes could be used to scale and rotate the building automatically.

Shape File with attributes:

2014-10-02_1330.png

Apply a 3D Model style:

2014-10-02_1335.png

Choose attributes for roatation and scale:

2014-10-02_1336.png

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 3
BrianHailey
in reply to: k.lew

What data are you starting with? Are the lots polylines or blocks? If they are blocks, you can do a data extraction and export out the rotation of the blocks. You could then attach that to the blocks as object data and then when you export the blocks out, you could include that and do as Karsten recommended.

Not sure what to do if they are polylines. Perhaps, if they were all drawn starting at the same corner, you could extract the angle of the first segment and then do the same as for the blocks.

Haven't actually tried it, just thinking out loud. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report