Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to Design Road Issues

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BrianHailey
501 Views, 3 Replies

Convert to Design Road Issues

When taking an existing road brought in via the model builder and then converting it to a design road, the elevations of the design road are horrid at best. As you can see in the following images:

Conceptual Road:

Design Road:

The profile for the road looks like the following:

Any idea on what is being used to generate the profile elevations? Shouldn't they try and match the conceptual road?

After converting to the design road and then using the "recreate profile" option in the right click, I get a much better result:

Shouldn't it do something like this when the road is converted?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Brian,

I have tried to recreate the issue on my side, but everything works fine.
A difference I have noticed is that your program is set to feet while I have used metric setting.
Can you retest with a project set up in metric units?
Just a guess and anyone can correct me, but I can imagine that the model builder delivers in metric units and the results need to be "refreshed" in InfraWorks to be converted to feet.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 4

Hi Karsten,

It's my understanding that the units shouldn't make a difference in InfraWorks as InfraWorks always uses the metric system. If you change to the imperial system, it simply changes the display units.

Anyways, my model is set to Metric now and I'm getting the same type of thing (only this time it's much higher then the ground instead of lower). I don't remember which road I was doing this with originally so it could be a unit thing or just a different road thing.

Either way, I've added you to my group so you should be able to download the model if you want to try it out. I've also added a design feed comment so you can see which road to convert to see the issue.

There are several models in my group, the one of interest here is named "Vail".

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 4
DMFACER
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

I have seen the same issue as Brian when converting roads from Model Builder to Design Roads.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report