Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cloud storage vs local

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
k.potter
1129 Views, 6 Replies

cloud storage vs local

Can infraworks be used without the benefit of cloud storage and sharing?  Maybe a better way of saying it, can I install Infraworks to my local drive and keep all content locally?  We have some clients who will not allow project information on the Cloud.  The Cloud may be touted as secure, etc., but until our clients agree we have to adhere to their requirements.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DMFACER
in reply to: k.potter

Yes, you can run everything with InfraWorks locally.  When you create a new file, you specify a local drive to save the model.  As long as you don't sync that model, it will remain local.

The issue you will run into is if you need to share that model with another user within your company, as it will only be saved on your hard drive.  Typically you sync the models to the cloud storage so they can be shared with others, either within your company, or externally with clients/stakeholders.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 3 of 7
Willy_Campbell

Hi Kevin,

I want to add a little more to this. InfraWorks does not have the option to sync projects to the cloud. It works exactly as you describe it. Start a project, work on it, and close; all data resides locally: the default project location is C:\Users\*current user*\Documents\Autodesk InfraWorks Models.

To even have this option available, you would need to upgrade to InfraWorks 360. Even then, you would have to manually hit the Sync button, pick a sync group, etc, and wait for the upload process to complete [this can be cancelled at any time]. Syncing a project is very much a manual process.

Please note that InfraWorks [currently] only supports projects located on your local drive. If you find the need to share your project data internally, externa;;y with your client, or just back up the project data, there is an article in the AKN about how best to accomplish this. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

I hope this helps!

Willy Campbell
Message 4 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Willy_Campbell

As I understand it, Infraworks 360 isn't just about cloud storage but also about cloud processing; in other words it allows users to do work with mediochre computers that would otherwise require very impressive (and more expensive) hardware.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
DMFACER

Unless I missed this somewhere, I don't believe this is true. InfraWorks that is included with the suite can be run without being logged in, so there would be no cloud connection to process any of the software tasks. Plus, the recommended system requirements for InfraWorks are pretty high: 16+ GB RAM, 2+ GB video card;

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

There are some specific tools in InfraWorks 360 that will only work if you are logged in, and do use cloud processing, but the software still requires quite a bit of local processing capability.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 6 of 7
k.potter
in reply to: DMFACER

I think I'm right on the edge in terms of computer capability.  I've got 16 GB, 64 bit, 3.2 Ghz processor and NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (2 GB) video card.  Thanks for the info.

Message 7 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: dgorsman

As far as I know, InfraWorks 360 doesn't do processing that a mediocre computer can't do. It, instead, allows processing of data sources that the local computer might not have the correct software to process (but if you have the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium you have Navisworks which is the needed component).

It would be nice if you could upload your model with a storyboard and rendering settings and have "the cloud" process your video for you but currently that isn't an option.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report