Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Select Road or Trees

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jpolding
1812 Views, 11 Replies

Can't Select Road or Trees

I'm working in the InfraWorks 2014 Building Design Suite edition. Is there a reason why I cannot select objects after creation? Any ideas? I am selecting in creat/edit mode, I think.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jpolding
in reply to: jpolding

I'll add to this that I can't select anything. I am using the SanFransisco demo file.

Message 3 of 12
ericcollins6932

I find Infraworks selections not intuitive. Double clicking works for me to select a road already in the model.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 12
lippola
in reply to: ericcollins6932

hi,

the selection in the SF model is prohibited by default. So if you enter the model explorer and "unlock" all teh assets you need to have selectable, you can select the assets as you like.

Andreas

Message 5 of 12
jpolding
in reply to: lippola

Thank you! I did find the model explorer and unlocked the assets. Still, when I try to pick a road for an animation, it asks me to select a 'design road' but will not let me select any roads.

Message 6 of 12
lippola

Ok, the there are no design roads within that model. Design roads can only be drawn and you cannot convert a spline road into a design road.

So once you go to the draw tool and select on of the three different roadtypes, exept the first one, you can draw a design road. Now you can select this one for your camera path in the story board.

Andreas

Message 7 of 12
jpolding
in reply to: lippola

Are 'Design Roads' included in the Building Design Suite Ultimate version of InfraWorks? I have 'Roads' but have yet not been able to select one to create an animation path. Oh, finally found a matrix to see what's included and what's not between the different versions of IW, still not clear though.

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/infrastructure-design-suite/compare/compare-to-other-products

Message 8 of 12
BrianHailey

Do you have the Building Design Suite Ultimate?

If so, open Infraworks and create a new road. If you only see one option, you don't have the roads and highways tools. If you see multiple options, you have them. Another way to check is to go to the view tab. If you have the Profile View option, you have the roads and highway tools, if not you don't.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 12
jpolding
in reply to: BrianHailey

I do have the BDS Ultimate. But I have discovered that although I can make 'roads' 'design roads' are not included. Seems that the roads and highway tools are only in the Infrastructure Design Suite Ultimate. 

Message 10 of 12
tmullins

Since we just have the Premium version, we do not have "design roads" but we can draw roads? Nice to just find this out.

So this explains why I go to Storyboard and Add Path: Create From Design Road and I can't select anything. It just keeps prompting me to Please Select A Design Road?

Then why even include the command in this version. Just to tease me or am I completely missing something here?

Message 11 of 12
ericcollins6932

Yup, they have dumbed down infraworks and removed the only big reason to invest time in the software. Now unless you spend big bucks for Ultimate, 30% roads can't be done anymore, except the cartoon version.

Their selection methodology is also unintuitive as you apparently are finding out.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 12 of 12
ssmith
in reply to: tmullins

I agree with this person.  If it isn't going to allow me to use the function, why is it available.  I have wasted alot of time trying to get the camera function to follow a path.  (Creating a smooth, none chopy, video doesn't seem to be very possible either. )

Wow, things sound good, but you are judged by the end results.  If I look bad to my boss, Autodesk looks bad to my boss.  It's that simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report