Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buildings with real Heights?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
philip_hon
914 Views, 7 Replies

Buildings with real Heights?

Any ideas how to import buildings with the actual heights?

I have some 3d data of the roof heights but didnt manage to create buildings with them.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Could you describe your dataset with some more details? E.g.:

• which format is used for that dataset (e.g. Shapefile, DWG, SQLite, ...)
  • how is the 3D geometry of the roofs given (e.g. a single height value per feature (with above ground/above sea level semantics), 3D polygons, ...)
  • do you have building footprint polygons (in 2D or 3D)?

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 3 of 8
philip_hon
in reply to: philip_hon

The dataformat is dwg. It contains closed polylines with geographic z-koordinates on vertices (roof heights).

Temporially I used the data as 2d polygon with given heights for all buildings.  

Message 4 of 8

3D polygons defining the roof ridge should work; note that we only support a planar roof ridge line (i.e., all vertices with the same z-coords) so far, therefore we take the minimum of all z-coords as the roof ridge height.

Be sure to choose the "Don't drape" option on the data import pages for the building dataset.

Can you explain and/or show what is not working as expected with your 3D building footprint polygon dataset?

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 5 of 8
philip_hon

Thanks for the advice, then I understand that it isn't possible to import unplanar roof heights.

Though I tried to imoprt a planar building and it became a grey flate plan in the model. It seems the heights are right while I checked oher buildings. It's a dwg with 3d closed polylines.

Is that any configurations I may be missed? Especially what I should put in "roof height" as it should follow the Z- coordinates. Also the "draping options", should it be set elevations to any index?

PS: A following question: If this works, how can a adjust over 1000 buildings to be set on its lowest Z-coordinates?

Message 6 of 8

You submitted screenshot looks a bit weird to me; the roof has been generated (at the correct height?), but the facades are missing. You could try to drag-n-drop one of the provided "facade styles" from "Style Palette->Facade->Brick" into this roof and check if the facades now appear...

I am not sure about your other questions. Maybe you could add some more details about what is in your source data and what effect you would like to achieve?

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 7 of 8
philip_hon

Yes, i tried drag and drop facade, it doesnt work. I also try the over sea level box named in another thread, then the grey flat disappeared.

Easiest if i just send you the material to work with. Notice that the polygons is not planars.

The terrain data is quite large but I think you can just create a planar for testing.

The coord.system is UTM-32N if it may help.

Hope you manage to find a solution and please reply as soon as possible.

Our client want to know if it's possible to get the actual househeights.

Hope to hear you soon.

Thanks for the help.

Message 8 of 8
lokitzj

Hi,

It looks like what you are running up against is a current known limitation which we have tracked and hope to address soon. 

The current workaround for this is to set the “drape onto terrain surface” option on during import in order to turn the 3D geometry into a 2D-ish one and then set either a fixed “roof height” value or to reference a feature attribute for the “roof height” parameter.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Justin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report