Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 new interface is not impressing me

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
JamesMaeding
1461 Views, 24 Replies

2015 new interface is not impressing me

I'm not sure who got the idea to re-invent the menu system ANOTHER time, but I'm not liking it.

On the first model I open, I want to turn shadows off, its a big model.

I start hovering over the orange thing, looking at tooltips. Its all pictures, so you have to hope the tooltip helps you.

The tips were ok, but not obvious for someone coming from 2014.

So I click on an item and this lovely menu swings in slowly.

What the heck?????????? Fade in slowly???????? I am on a fast machine too.

I finally see the menu items along the left side, then see the white pictures.

Did it ever occur to Autodesk that white is hard to see if you have a light model background? Dang it.

The I see visual effects with common settings, but no shadows option.

I tried the High Visual Quality switch and it turned off the shadows.

Am I the only one who hates switches? a check box is clear, but switches all start to look the same.

Then I try to move that Visual Effects dialog to another monitor. No go, must be in the program window.

Whos horrible idea was a cluncky modeless dialog that cannot go off window? I want to know, this is a new low for Autodesk.

I'm going to need a shovel to dig a trench for the bar now, its below ground.

Autodesk blew it on many levels here. Change for the sake of change is stupid. This is so Autodesk too, to take an awesome product and experiment with things that should have been refined, not replaced.

The ribbon was not my favorite interface either, but at least it was available and consistent.

This new thing of clicking to wait 2 seconds to see the buttons I have to discern against the background, is insanity.

I could not have done a worse interface if I tried. Its all fragmented now, and slow, and hard to read. I think I will stick with 2014 its so bad.

You must think we were born yesterday Autodesk, this is a rediculous mess you made.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25

Hi James,

You can have the current Sandbox version side-by-side with the currnent InfraWorks update on the same computer. I currently have versions from 2013R2, all versions of 2014, 2015.2 and the sandbox on my test computer [see image]. They all play well together. Note: I renamed the launch icon for the latest updated version 15.2.

iw installed.JPG

Shoot me an email if you decide to join the sandbox. Yes, it may be too late for the next update release, but what about the next, and next, and next?

Willy Campbell
Message 22 of 25

ok, definately good you clarified that.

I think I was recalling IW 360 does not like other versions of IW on same machine, maybe just 2015 though.

Autodesk needs to be super, crystal, diagramed out clear on this whole IW set of versions, including 360.

There should be something saying when the model version changes, what installs do not allow certain other installs, and what is offered in what package.

There may be some customers out there that are so new they just jump on whatever comes along, but it only takes one year of updates and a few accidental model version upgrades to educate those beginners.

I think every time I start on one topic, it bleeds into another that Autodesk is not handling well. Its constructive feedback IMO, but dang, where do I stop?

Message 23 of 25
tcorey
in reply to: Willy_Campbell

Willy, I would love to play in the sandbox with you. tcorey at shasta dot com.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 24 of 25
JamesMaeding
in reply to: tcorey

Now that brings back memories. I remember ends of my fingers always raw from the digging, could not stop 🙂

Message 25 of 25
Partenheimer
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I see what James means regarding the menu on the background.

My eyesight is not the best and this actually makes working with InfraWorks physically painful for me.

See my attached snapshot of an actual project.

IWMenu.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report