Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 R2 can't import CityGML without beeing connected to Autodesk360

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
1158 Views, 7 Replies

2014 R2 can't import CityGML without beeing connected to Autodesk360

Hi,

has anyone else tried with Infraworks 2014 R2 to import CityGML-Files?

When you are not connected to Autodesk 360 AIW gives you a message that you have to be connected.

If you are connected to AIW it sends the data to the cloud (without any request).

Dear Autodesk, sorry, not all of us are allowed to upload the data to an unknown server, even not allowed to give the data to any place outside the office!

As it did work locally in the version without "R2" I maybe missing the functionality to get it imported without connecting to 360. If so please let me know how I can do that.

If that is a new "feature" and really not possible to import that without 360 then please

a) think about that your application uploads data without any comment/without a request to the user and that might be confidential data so you risk the jobs of the user and the secrets of that data. If you transfer data away from the customers storage places YOU HAVE TO INFORM THE USER

b) please restore the old functionality

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

no i have not tried yet

thats is crazy

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

just tried it

same here

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

thank you for testing and confirming it, so I know that it's not just me.

I spoke with some guys at a government department (Civil3D and AIW-users) and they told me, that a software that is transferring data over internet without letting the user know that, without commitment from the user will be forbidden to be used as they see that as strongly illegal.

And now I'm not sure what data is also beeing transfered without knowing that, hopefully it does not transfer any data when the user is not connected to 360.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 8
DarrenP

also kind of makes you wonder if all of the autodesk products are doing this without your knowledge

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
DarrenP

autodesk explanation: http://atlandsend.typepad.com/at-lands-end/2013/08/autodesk-infraworks-2014-r2-format-translation-pr...

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Darren,

thank you for the link, it's a confirmation that there is no other way to import CityGML (and Revit files).

Again what does that mean: people that are disallowed to transfer data outside of the office (by risking her job) can't now use that two features or that product (dot).

I don't be sad about Autodesk using cloud functionality, that's the way the future will work. But transfering data (with maybe content under any security regultations) without getting informed that data is transfered to external server is a real problem and has to be solved, at the very least the customer has to be informed before data copying starts with an option to cancel that function.

At the moment I see no other way than to tell the customers to avoid beeing connected to Autodesk 360 (or to stay at AIW 2014 - without "R2") as nobody currently knows about what customer geometry/data is transfered. I guess that is not the way Autodesk likes to see the product placed, but some of my customers have no other chance (Autodesk does not give them the chance, it's not me).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8
subsales

Thank you for calling this issue to our attention.  While we had no intention of hiding the fact that we’re utilizing Autodesk cloud-based services to translate data, we also have not called that out explicitly enough in the product.  We are working to rectify this immediately.  In the meantime, if you are concerned about this issue and still need to import Revit and CityGML files in InfraWorks, please use Autodesk InfraWorks 2014 (R1).

When it comes to compute-intense operations, like translating complex Revit and CityGML files, we, at Autodesk, truly believe that the cloud offers the best performance at the best cost to the customer. And, we take security seriously.  With over 10 years of experience providing cloud-based solutions, Autodesk knows that data security is critical to your success and we strive to safeguard the availability, confidentiality, privacy, and security of your data in the cloud.

We also fully understand that in some situations local regulations and company policies dictate that data must not leave local intranet environments.  In these cases there are other ways to prepare data for import into InfraWorks.  For instance, when it comes to importing Revit files, these can be exported as FBX files directly from Revit and imported/translated locally in InfraWorks, without ever leaving the desktop.  We appreciate this feedback and please let us know if you have any additional issues or concerns with this release.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report