Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section Box

Section Box

I'd like to use a Section Box (like Revit and ReCap) to be able to isolate and cut through just a specific part of the model and work on that area only. This might also provide more performance while working only on a specific tile(s) of the model. This Section Box should be able to cut through every feature in the model, so also imported 3D models.

It would also be a good idea to have some sort of a manager in which mutliple Section Boxes can be saved and loaded.

14 Comments
Eric_Chappell
Community Manager

I've asked our product team for information on this one...

Eric_Chappell
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

We have something very similar to this in our backlog already. No timeline on if/when development will begin but this is on our list.

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Great @Eric_Chappell, I'm looking forward to test this!

mark_kauffman
Advocate

I agree, we do need a section tool. I was working with several designers recently who were constantly asking for a cross section of an entire area, road, buildings, 3d models. water bodies, terrain, everything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A potential work around is using 'Model Properties' > turn off Entire Model > 'Define Interactively with 'BBox or Polygon'

In 'Application Options' > 3D Graphics > Turn on backfaces

Yeah.. wishing too, to save views in this manner.. no dice.

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Hi @Eric_Chappell, what's the status on this ACCEPTED idea?

lippola
Alumni

right now there is nothing we consider for the desktop so far. When it comes to LMV it has been raised a couple times as one of the high prioritie items. This means in this case a section view following an alignment. 

Right now we need a running instance on LMV to further look at those special enhancements within LMV.

thought?

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Any update yet on this 'ACCEPTED' idea since 06-27-2016?

Now in InfraWorks 2019 R3 we have the option to use Sublayers but these aren't very usable when there isn't an option to create sections on specific locations in the model.

2019-03-13_09-11-58.png

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@lippola @Eric_Chappell 

Any news on this? A Generic Section View that you can just cut a section anywhere seems like core functionality for a design application!!

Been able to sample all of the surfaces available as well would be critical.

Hell even a "Quick section" Click-click and show section view right now would be amazing!!!

adamae.enriquez
Community Visitor

following... I desperately need a cut section view...

ara.ashikian
Autodesk

This is currently under development as shown below.

Stay tuned!

-Ara Ashikian, P.Eng.

PM Bridges / Civil Structures

clipping.JPG 

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@ara.ashikian .. man i hope its better than that. Something at least equivalent to naviswork's section capabilities should be bare minimum. But honestly infraworks should aim to do better than that even. A separate orthographic window similar to the profile view window would be a huge step up. With measurable linework etc...

I can't stress enough that the section should be able to be cut anywhere, not just linked to a road corridor.

So many things you could add from there as well

• Ability to save sections somehow (maybe as bookmarks or saved views as per navisworks)
  • Give surfaces and other objects a "Section Style" similar to Civil 3D.
  • Export section linework to DXF/DWG/SHP
  • Export section linework as 3D polylines
  • Create trapped materials and do endarea calculations between multiple section views. (Similar to Civil 3D samplelines)
  • Batch create sections along an alignment
  • Generate PDF sheets of sections at a suitable scale using a template. (similar to the infraworks sheet creation)

Man the list goes on. This is the sort of stuff that prevents infraworks from been a genuine design tool, rather than just a very conceptual visualisation tool.

ara.ashikian
Autodesk

Those are all very good points that you have raised.  The design and implementation of clipping planes will be considering many aspects above and beyond the clipping of the 3D model.  Some of these will require further investigations.  The objective is to deliver, in stages, this new feature. One of the key aspects will be to provide a way for users not only to better visualize and interact with their models, but to also be able to take precise measurements and elevations.  Also, in addition to being able to easily be placed relative to alignments, the intent is to be able to place these clipping planes relative to many other components in the model. 

-Ara Ashikian, P.Eng.

PM Bridges / Civil Structures

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Hi @ara.ashikian, you definitely take some time to deliver on this...5 years it's been since you accepted this idea but glad to know your team is working on this now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report