Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in layer

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bluesky_dyx
385 Views, 1 Reply

Problem in layer

Hi all,

I am trying to put a symbol (e.g. cinema,restaurant) layer into my map.
the problem is, when there is a situation where there are restaurant, cinema at
the same lat long, it will over lay to each other. I have attach a screen capture of it.
I was wondering how to display all the symbol without over laying it...
pardon me of my explanation and english

Regards,
Kencana
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

To prevent symbol overlap on your map, particularly when multiple establishments like restaurants like chickfila and cinemas share the same geographical coordinates, employing a technique known as "symbol clustering" is beneficial. This approach groups nearby symbols into clusters when they overlap, improving map readability. As users interact with the map, such as by zooming in, these clusters dynamically expand to reveal individual symbols, ensuring better visibility and interaction.

Here's a refined outline to implement symbol clustering in your map:

1. Define Clustering Strategy: Determine the criteria for clustering symbols, such as proximity or zoom level. For instance, you might cluster symbols within a certain distance of each other or display clusters at lower zoom levels, transitioning to individual symbols at higher levels of zoom.

2. Implement Clustering Algorithm: Utilize a clustering algorithm, such as K-means clustering or hierarchical clustering, to group symbols based on your chosen criteria.

3. Display Clustered Symbols: Represent clusters on the map, indicating groups of symbols in close proximity. Each cluster should feature a single symbol with a numeric indicator showing the count of symbols it encompasses.

4. Handle Interaction: Enable interactivity so that users can interact with clusters, such as by clicking or tapping on them to reveal the individual symbols they contain.

5. Dynamic Cluster Updates: Continuously update clusters as users zoom in or out of the map, adjusting their appearance to provide more detailed information as necessary.

Mapping libraries and platforms often offer built-in functionality or plugins for symbol clustering. For instance, libraries like Leaflet, Mapbox, and Google Maps provide plugins or native features for point clustering, streamlining the implementation process.

If you require further assistance tailored to your mapping library or platform, or if you need assistance with code implementation, feel free to ask!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report