Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Record Procedure in SQL Spatial 2008 from outside source.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tjmapper
1452 Views, 2 Replies

New Record Procedure in SQL Spatial 2008 from outside source.

I am trying to get over a hurdle that has left me puzzled. I am not with out a solution but I am trying to find a better way to do things.

All our data is stored in SQL Spatial 2008. I want the ability for people outside of the GIS to be able to add records that would end up in the GIS, but without having the ability to place it on a map.  So I have a webpage that allows an insertion of record into SQL that inserts a new record without geometry. Geometry is required for a spatial layer.

So, do I tell it to insert @ 0,0 and manually place it later?

Do I setup up a join trigger that would update the data automatically after I give it a point?

Do I spend weeks and weeks pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to create a tool in AIMS that allows insertion of a spatial object?

My hope is someone has had a similar questions and can help me get to a reasonable solution. If nothing else just have a discussion on data procedures.

Thank in advance.

Tags (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jackie.ng
in reply to: tjmapper

You can just try making the geometry column allow NULL values. 

Make a view off of this table where [geometry_column IS NOT NULL]. Make your layer off of this view

Have your webpage insert into the underlying table with the value for geometry_column omitted or set to NULL

This way, user-added records are omitted from the rendered layer because they are filtered out by the view that MapGuide will be reading from.

- Jackie

Message 3 of 3
tjmapper
in reply to: jackie.ng

From there, how would we add the geometry to the data generated?

I am not sure how AutoCAD Map will handle records without geometry. We do all our GIS work in AutoCAD Map with an FDO connection to SQL. 

Do you see my problem? How do I enable users to add new records that will need the geometry updated at a later date?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report