Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapGuide Viewer: Auto Install

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
dlalonde
477 Views, 11 Replies

MapGuide Viewer: Auto Install

Hello All,

Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that doesn't require user interaction to install.

Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG viewer on end user machine.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dlalonde

Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and Installation" It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in that it doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the manual installation. --Bill "denlalonde" wrote in message news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello All, > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that doesn't require user interaction to install. > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG viewer on end user machine.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Bill, I would have to disagree with you on the Admin privileges issue. We have found that if you are part of an Active Directory Domain and your MIS department has established Group Policies that prevent the installation of ActiveX controls without Administrator privileges, the automatic download and installation will not work. This has been a real PITA here, since we in the GIS department who administer our MapGuide application have not been granted these priviledges outside our workgroup. We end up having to go around to every machine in our organization that uses our MapGuide application and have MIS log us in to install the update. Is there an MSI installer option available? If so, MIS can use Active Directory to push the updates out to all of our user's workstations. Carl "Bill Voigt" wrote in message news:42001d1e$1_3@newsprd01... > Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and Installation" > It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in that > it > doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the > manual installation. > > --Bill > > "denlalonde" wrote in message > news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Hello All, > > > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that > doesn't require user interaction to install. > > > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG viewer > on end user machine. > >
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Anyone? "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message news:4200240d_1@newsprd01... > Bill, > > I would have to disagree with you on the Admin privileges issue. We have > found that if you are part of an Active Directory Domain and your MIS > department has established Group Policies that prevent the installation of > ActiveX controls without Administrator privileges, the automatic download > and installation will not work. > > This has been a real PITA here, since we in the GIS department who > administer our MapGuide application have not been granted these priviledges > outside our workgroup. We end up having to go around to every machine in > our organization that uses our MapGuide application and have MIS log us in > to install the update. > > Is there an MSI installer option available? If so, MIS can use Active > Directory to push the updates out to all of our user's workstations. > > Carl > > "Bill Voigt" wrote in message > news:42001d1e$1_3@newsprd01... > > Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and Installation" > > It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in > that > > it > > doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the > > manual installation. > > > > --Bill > > > > "denlalonde" wrote in message > > news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Hello All, > > > > > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that > > doesn't require user interaction to install. > > > > > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG viewer > > on end user machine. > > > > > >
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Carl, I queried the network admin of one of my clients about this since they recently did a mass deployment of the 6.5 viewer. He replied that he unzipped the ActiveX .exe file available from Autodesk and this does contain an MSI file in the control directory. He used this MSI without any problems. I double-checked this using WinZip and confirmed that the ControlSetup.msi file is in the Control directory. Why Autodesk doesn't just ship the MSI is a little mystifying....... -- Andy Morsell, P.E. Spatial Integrators, Inc. http://www.SpatialGIS.com "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message news:420a42ea_2@newsprd01... > Anyone? > > > "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message > news:4200240d_1@newsprd01... >> Bill, >> >> I would have to disagree with you on the Admin privileges issue. We have >> found that if you are part of an Active Directory Domain and your MIS >> department has established Group Policies that prevent the installation >> of >> ActiveX controls without Administrator privileges, the automatic download >> and installation will not work. >> >> This has been a real PITA here, since we in the GIS department who >> administer our MapGuide application have not been granted these > priviledges >> outside our workgroup. We end up having to go around to every machine in >> our organization that uses our MapGuide application and have MIS log us >> in >> to install the update. >> >> Is there an MSI installer option available? If so, MIS can use Active >> Directory to push the updates out to all of our user's workstations. >> >> Carl >> >> "Bill Voigt" wrote in message >> news:42001d1e$1_3@newsprd01... >> > Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and > Installation" >> > It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in >> that >> > it >> > doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the >> > manual installation. >> > >> > --Bill >> > >> > "denlalonde" wrote in message >> > news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > > Hello All, >> > > >> > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that >> > doesn't require user interaction to install. >> > > >> > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG > viewer >> > on end user machine. >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Andy, Thank you for looking into this. I have unpacked the .EXE file and sent its contents on to MIS to request setting up a group policy deployment for MapGuide. Hopefully we can get this working, as our headaches multiply every time an update/upgrade to Mapguide is released. Carl "Andy Morsell" wrote in message news:420a575c$1_3@newsprd01... > Carl, > I queried the network admin of one of my clients about this since they > recently did a mass deployment of the 6.5 viewer. He replied that he > unzipped the ActiveX .exe file available from Autodesk and this does contain > an MSI file in the control directory. He used this MSI without any > problems. I double-checked this using WinZip and confirmed that the > ControlSetup.msi file is in the Control directory. Why Autodesk doesn't > just ship the MSI is a little mystifying....... > > > -- > Andy Morsell, P.E. > Spatial Integrators, Inc. > http://www.SpatialGIS.com > > > "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message > news:420a42ea_2@newsprd01... > > Anyone? > > > > > > "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message > > news:4200240d_1@newsprd01... > >> Bill, > >> > >> I would have to disagree with you on the Admin privileges issue. We have > >> found that if you are part of an Active Directory Domain and your MIS > >> department has established Group Policies that prevent the installation > >> of > >> ActiveX controls without Administrator privileges, the automatic download > >> and installation will not work. > >> > >> This has been a real PITA here, since we in the GIS department who > >> administer our MapGuide application have not been granted these > > priviledges > >> outside our workgroup. We end up having to go around to every machine in > >> our organization that uses our MapGuide application and have MIS log us > >> in > >> to install the update. > >> > >> Is there an MSI installer option available? If so, MIS can use Active > >> Directory to push the updates out to all of our user's workstations. > >> > >> Carl > >> > >> "Bill Voigt" wrote in message > >> news:42001d1e$1_3@newsprd01... > >> > Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and > > Installation" > >> > It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in > >> that > >> > it > >> > doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the > >> > manual installation. > >> > > >> > --Bill > >> > > >> > "denlalonde" wrote in message > >> > news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> > > Hello All, > >> > > > >> > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that > >> > doesn't require user interaction to install. > >> > > > >> > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG > > viewer > >> > on end user machine. > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Carl, In my environment, I also have the same Admin priveleges that your GIS dept has - none. When I log onto a workstation, I (or other non admin user) cannot run the .exe installer. However, when I add the CODEBASE reference to the mgaxctrl.cab file, there is no problem, and the viewer is installed automatically & transparently (there is a dialog that the user has to respond to for the installation to proceed). This might due to a relaxation of restrictions in our environment vs others. I'm no expert in this field & that is probably why I don't have admin priveleges. --Bill "Carl Von Stetten" wrote in message news:4200240d_1@newsprd01... > Bill, > > I would have to disagree with you on the Admin privileges issue. We have > found that if you are part of an Active Directory Domain and your MIS > department has established Group Policies that prevent the installation of > ActiveX controls without Administrator privileges, the automatic download > and installation will not work. > > This has been a real PITA here, since we in the GIS department who > administer our MapGuide application have not been granted these priviledges > outside our workgroup. We end up having to go around to every machine in > our organization that uses our MapGuide application and have MIS log us in > to install the update. > > Is there an MSI installer option available? If so, MIS can use Active > Directory to push the updates out to all of our user's workstations. > > Carl > > "Bill Voigt" wrote in message > news:42001d1e$1_3@newsprd01... > > Check the Mapguide Author help under "Automatic download and Installation" > > It describes the procedures for this functionality. It is very nice in > that > > it > > doesn't require admin priveleges to install, which is required for the > > manual installation. > > > > --Bill > > > > "denlalonde" wrote in message > > news:2079007.1106922128691.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Hello All, > > > > > > Is there an MapGuide Viewer (IE) installation package available that > > doesn't require user interaction to install. > > > > > > Our administrator is looking for a way to remotely install the MG viewer > > on end user machine. > > > > > >
Message 8 of 12
soconnor

Carl,

Did this approach work for you in the end? I'm having the same issues with a large deployment. Not being a IT system person, I know that there are a number of ways that the MSI could be distributed using active directory (SMS ? and others). If you did get it to work, was there any specific way it was deployed across the network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Soconnor,

Our MIS department was able to "push" the ActiveX control out to all
workstations. I believe they set up a group policy that had a software
installation component. When a new computer is joined to the domain, it
automatically installs the ActiveX control on the first successful login.

HTH,
Carl

soconnor wrote:

>Carl,
>
>Did this approach work for you in the end? I'm having the same issues with a large deployment. Not being a IT system person, I know that there are a number of ways that the MSI could be distributed using active directory (SMS ? and others). If you did get it to work, was there any specific way it was deployed across the network?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Sean
>
>
Message 10 of 12
soconnor

Carl,

Thank you for the info. I'll pass it on and hopefully it will be resolved. I believe that they have tried something simular to what you have suggested, however, there seems to be diferent ways that an MSI can be distributed. What they have asked me to find out (if possible) is what approach was used through Active Directory. They are 'publishing/assigning' the MSI through AD, they are not using software such as SMS.

Carl, would it be possible to find out the approach that was used in your company by the MIS department to successfully deploy the MSI.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

soconnor,

Our MIS department is using the 'Assigned' deployment type in a group
policy. In fact, the group policy installs several applications
(MapGuide ActiveX, Adobe Reader, Java 2 Runtime Environment, and
others). The file that is being "pushed" for MapGuide is
ControlSetup.msi. You can use WinZip to extract the MSI from the EXE
installer from AutoDesk (the MSI should be located in a Control
directory within the EXE file).

HTH,
Carl

soconnor wrote:

>Carl,
>
>Thank you for the info. I'll pass it on and hopefully it will be resolved. I believe that they have tried something simular to what you have suggested, however, there seems to be diferent ways that an MSI can be distributed. What they have asked me to find out (if possible) is what approach was used through Active Directory. They are 'publishing/assigning' the MSI through AD, they are not using software such as SMS.
>
>Carl, would it be possible to find out the approach that was used in your company by the MIS department to successfully deploy the MSI.
>
>
Message 12 of 12
soconnor

Carl,

Thank you. The same approach was been used by the IT department. However, they assumed that the control was contained within the MSI, when the CAB needs to be deployed along side the MSI.

It all works now and your help is much appreciated.

Sean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report