Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapguide Enterprise vs. Mapguide Studio vs. Mapguide Open source

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cplemmons1984
1068 Views, 4 Replies

Mapguide Enterprise vs. Mapguide Studio vs. Mapguide Open source

What are the differences between Enterprise and the other versions of Mapguide? Why would I want to pay for the Enterprise version, and what are the benefits associated with it over the open source version?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jackie.ng
in reply to: cplemmons1984

MapGuide Enterprise is effectively MapGuide Open Source with:

• A more reliable raster FDO provider
  • A FDO provider for SQL Server (<= 2005)
  • A FDO provider for Oracle
  • MapGuide Studio
  • A predictable yearly release cycle
  • Commercial support from Autodesk

And as of the 2012 release, it also includes:

• Topobase Web + Administrator
  • A map viewer optimized for mobile devices (iPhone/Android/etc)
  • GeoREST

IMO, Autodesk has really made the enterprise version of MapGuide a more value-added package than previous releases.

Of course, whether you go MGE or MGOS depends on whether you require any of the aforementioned items above.

- Jackie

Message 3 of 5
sroussev

Jackie,

I am looking for some guides/samples for working with georest and in particular updating FDO data from web browser.

I have looked into 2012 georest technology preview, I have understanding for creating reports, but I was not successful in updating attributes.  Are there any working samples that you can suggest researching?

Thanks,

Svet 

Message 4 of 5
gluckett

The only way to edit, insert or delete records with GeoRest is to use the XML renderer.

Check out:

http://code.google.com/p/georest/wiki/RenderersXml

And PUT,POST and DELETE (INSERT,EDIT, DELETE respectively)

http://code.google.com/p/georest/wiki/ApiMethods

regards

gordon

Message 5 of 5
janechii
in reply to: jackie.ng

Jackie,

The raster provider for Enterprise on Linux was really defective when i tried it with MrSID. I had to resort to using the OpenSource Gdal FDO for that, which works beatifully. It would seem that their raster provider is just the modified open source version right?

Commercial support from Autodesk is hardly "value-added" Smiley Tongue

I've been more and more reliant on your Maestro over Studio (even on my enterprise setup). It's more transparent, works on Linux, faster, and pretty full featured. I cant wait to try out version 3 final on Linux. It was buggy during the beta. So again, other than being the standard, i dont see Studio as much of a value-added.

But yea, 2012 is really nice with Topobase included.

Just my opinions 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report