Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapGuide Enterprise 2011 on Windows 2008 R2 64bit Success?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
gluckett
4204 Views, 26 Replies

MapGuide Enterprise 2011 on Windows 2008 R2 64bit Success?

Hi, 

has anyone successfully installed the 64 bit MapGuide 2011 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS.

I have 2 issues:

1. Install 64bit with IIS 7.5 (had troubles so installed the 32bit instead - which installed fine and setup ApplicationPools etc)

2. LIC file being NOT being recognized

I tried every trick:

• Changing @127.0.0.1 in the serverconfig.ini to full path of LIC file
  • Trying both 64bit and 32bit versions of ADLM
  • Logging into MapGuide with mapagent
  • Logging into MapGuide with Maestro
  • Logging into MapGuide with Studio 2011
Everything gave "Invalid License" message.
Any hints anyone?
gordon

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
gluckett
in reply to: gluckett

Message 3 of 27
arnoldschwabe

I'm having similar issues getting 2011 runnint on Server 2008 R2 64 bit. I managed to get the license manager working, I got the Site Administrator working (thanks to your post). However, I can't get into the site with Studio and when I look at the site in the mapagent/index.html file the page comes up but I get all kinds of errors when I run EnumerateResources or GetFeatureProviders. None of them seem to work and it is driving me nuts.

I have 2010 installed and running properly on the same machine and am hoping to upgrade but have had no success yet. If anyone has the 64 bit version of 2011 running on Win 2008 R2, I'd love to hear from them.

Arnold

Message 4 of 27
dswilson

Just to clarify a few things:

1) Are the ports in the serverconfig.ini and the webconfig.ini different between 2010 and 2011? I assume they must be different otherwise things wouldn't start up.

2) What API did you install PHP .NET or Java? This shouldn't affect the install or connecting from Studio, but there is a chance the two PHP instances may not play well which might affect Flexible Layouts.

3) What Web Server did you install?

Regards,

Dave

Message 5 of 27
arnoldschwabe
in reply to: dswilson

Thanks for the reply. In answer to the questions:

1. Yes, in the webconfig file, 2010 is using 2800s for the port numbers (i.e. 2800, 2801, 2802, etc) and 2011 is using 2810s for the port numbers (i.e. 2810, 2811, 2812, etc). Same for the serverconfig file

2. API installed is .NET

3. Currently on IIS 7.5 (7.5.7600.16385)

I guess I'm still at a loss. The Site Administrator seems to be fine but there seem to be some real issues getting the rest to run. I ran all the tests in the "Installing and Configuring..." guide but only the Site Administrator one works and everything else generates errors or doesn't connect at all.

Message 6 of 27
dswilson

It would suggest to me that something in the IIS didn't configure properly. What does your virtual directory structure look like? Is there a handler mapping for the MapGuide ISAPI agent enabled on the mapagent virtual directory? That would be the biggest stumbling block for the issues you are seeing.

Often times customers report problems with the IIS install, but we can never reproduce them.

If you have the Installing MapGuide Enterprise on Windows pdf from your 2010 CD I believe it contains a detailed breakdown of the virtual directories and the setup. It won't explain the steps 100% for IIS 7.5, but it should give you a guide. Alternately you could try a repair and if that doesn't work an uninstall/reinstall on the Web Extensions.

Regards,

Dave

Message 7 of 27
gluckett

Hi, I would definitely try re-installing Web Extensions then. 

Also, can you run any of the tools in the http://localhost/mapguide2011/mapagent/index.html

gordon

Message 8 of 27
arnoldschwabe

This is where I'm at now...

- I reinstalled the web server extensions

- I compared the 2010 and 2011 folder structures in IIS and they look similar

- I verified that there is a Mapguide ISAPI agent in the handler mappings for mapagent and it is setup the same as the one in 2010 (both using the one in the corresponding version folder)

- None of the tools in http://localhost/mapguide2011/mapagent/index.html work

Everything seems to generate and error message related to the "IsapiModule" "MapGuide ISAPI Module" leading me to think that it is obviously the problem, I just can't see why it would be.

Detailed Error Information

Module: IsapiModule

Notification: ExecuteRequestHandler

Handler: MapGuide ISAPI agent

Error Code: 0x800700c1

Message 9 of 27
dswilson

It may be some kind of permissions problem. Are there any errors in the system even logs that might indicate a failure? I find IIS logging to be very uninformative.

Regards,

Dave

Message 10 of 27
gluckett
in reply to: arnoldschwabe

Also, I had a similar issue on my VISTA computer.  I could not even look at the Handler Mappings.  I deleted the mapguide2011 virtual directory and started from scratch using this site:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS2onVistaIIS7

and that worked for me.

Message 11 of 27
arnoldschwabe

Dave,

I checked all the windows logs, nothing jumps out at me as far as permission issues. There's no errors or warnings in Applications or Security, just the standard. I rechecked permissions on the main folders and things look normal, nothing obviously wrong.

Gordon,

Tried your suggestions, same issues.

At this point, I'm ready to install it on a different server just to see if I can get it up and running and maybe a solution will become apparent. Maybe I've been looking at it too long and need to attack it from a different angle. Maybe it just needs a hammer.

Message 12 of 27

Well.... just to update this thread. I took the advice of tech support and did a clean install, sans MGE2010 and here's what I did...

- uninstalled MGE2011
- uninstalled MGE2010
- rebooted
- made sure no AV programs or any other unnecessary processes were running
- New install of MGE2011

Still the same problems. I can get Site Administrator to work but nothing else, no MG Studio, etc.

I assumed I could just install 2011 and it would work like 2010 did. Obviously there are other issues to resolve somewhere and it will be awhile before I try it again.

Thanks to everyone for all the assistance.

Message 13 of 27
dswilson

Silly question. You didn't install 64bit 2011 alongside 32bit 2010 did you? IIS on 64bit won't run both 32 and 64bit together. I'm not sure if you can separate them into different websites other than the default and with different app pools they will play side by side or not. Of course since you unintalled that should eliminate that issue.

I saw similar issues with an install on XP yesterday. There were some App Pool conflicts, but the user in question said they didn't manually touch anything, but as far as I know the 2010 didn't create an App Pool. The fact that you get Site Admin working means PHP is working. That got past the first issue I saw. The second was a permissions issue on the mapagent folder and the IIS_USR account.

Another possible issue is if you are installing the 32bit version possibly by mistake then the MapGuide2011 app pool will need to have 32bit support enabled under the advanced settings for things to work.

Dave

Message 14 of 27
arnoldschwabe

Answer to your first question is yes. The 64 bit 2011 and 32 bit 2010 were installed side by side.

Yes again, I uninstalled everything and just installed 64 bit 2011.

2010 did create an AppPool in IIS. As did 2011.

Last question is No, the installer wouldn't let me install the 32 bit version. It throws a warning and stops the installation. I could only install the 64 bit version.

I guess the other thing that I can't figure out is why Studio won't even connect. Should that be affected by any of this?

Message 15 of 27
dswilson

Attached is a couple of steps we used to install 2010 originally on Vista which is similar to IIS7.5 If you can confirm these are working then it's only 1 of a couple of possibilities that remain. I will chat with a developer and see if we can confirm what we tweaked yesterday to get things running on XP. Of course our problem was actually getting 2010 to run. 64bit 2011 installed fine in our case.

Dave

Message 16 of 27
dswilson

Attached is a screen shot showing what things should look like. There may be a conflict with the old app pool from 2010. It may have set itself on the Default Web site and this app pool would propogate down to each virtual directory. You have have to reassign the MapGuide2011AppPool on each virtual directory.

Dave

Message 17 of 27
arnoldschwabe

Dave,

Thanks for all the help.

So.... since I last posted, here's what I did.

- I uninstalled everything and just installed 2011

- I went through the list of steps that you sent ( I seem to remember those from the OSGEO stuff)

-  verified the settings from the image you attached.

I noticed as I went through the list that in the site ISAPI and CGI restrictions, it held onto the old php5isapi and isapi_mapagent setting for 2010 and created new ones for 2011 that were just labelled as default. So I removed the old ones and set the new ones accordingly.

I then tried an install without setting up the site server so I could configure it myself later. That seemed to make a difference. Now when I ran the site admin and other stuff, it actually asked me for a login rather than just throwing an error. Also, when I run Studio now it doesn't generate an error saying "Cannot connect to the specified site URL."

So, it appears to ALMOST be working but now I seem to be having an authentication issue. When I try to connect to Studio or Site Administrator it says the "Administrator", "admin" User ID or Password is invalid. Somewhere I have the authentication settings pooched but can't figure out where. Any more suggestions?

Message 18 of 27
dswilson

Unless the Authentication on the mapguide virtual directory is wrong (it should be Anonymous) I don't know what would cause this. Most people reinstall when this happens. The goofy part is that the Administrator login and info is in the Site repository under the server install so unless this somehow got corrupted I don't know why it would fail. The fact you are getting an authentication failure suggests you are talking to the server now. Of course if no authentication error is recorded in the Authentication.log then the problem is likely stll IIS and not MGE.

I'm tempted to suggest uninstalling and ensure everything is deleted under IIS and reboot: confirm no old AppPools, handler mappings etc are left lying around on the default web site. Re-install and see how it goes. Yeah I know one more install but the problem seems to be remnants in IIS. Of course you could uninstall IIS and add it back and try a clean install. There definitely wouldn't be anything left from the old installs.

Of course trying it on another server that hasn't had MGE 2010 installed would be a good test too.

Dave

Message 19 of 27
arnoldschwabe

Well, instead of wasting more time, I uninstalled everything: old versions, new versions, IIS, anything I could think of that was related. I removed old folders, AppPools, the works. Rebooted. Reinstalled it all.

It now appears to be working. I don't know what was causing the weird issues but whatever it was is gone now.

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here about incompatible versions, new versions and the like. After all these years, I'm sure it's one I should already know! Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

Message 20 of 27
meng.li

Is it reasonal to assume that the MapGuide Enterprise 2011 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit performs much efficient and faster than on Windows Server 2008 (SP2) 32bit? In this case, the current 64-bit server env for MGE 2011 is really well established now? Would you share your experience on this? It seems to me based on this post that there are some potential challenges in configuring the MapGuide Enterprise 2011 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit env. Since I like MGE 2011 and have new servers ordered, I believe my 'best' option would be to have 64-bit MGE 2011 installed on Windows server 2008 R2 of the new servers?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report