Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mapguide data import

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ahmer77
457 Views, 3 Replies

mapguide data import

Hi there!

Something came up and i guess that this forum is the best resource.

I work on traffic safety diagrams. I use a legend block in autocad to import accident points and data associated with the points (shp/dbf files). The problem is that now we are moving to Autodesk Mapguide server for our accident analysis software. The software contains an export tool, which exports the accident points to an autocad file. Our consultant told us that there is no data associated with these points. This puts us in trouble since we used the shape(shp/dbf) files to import accident data like accident type, date, etc This data can be put as labels and symbols in the accident diagram. The points without any data is useless for us.

We are using an SQL database with Mapguide server. The accident analysis software couples the two into one system.

So my questions are:

1. In Autodesk Mapguide, Is it possible to import data associated with accident points?
2. If not, is there a workaround for this?

help needed:)

thanks,
waj
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: ahmer77

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:25:43 GMT, in autodesk.mapguide.general ahmer77 wrote: > We are using an SQL database with Mapguide server. The accident analysis software couples the two into one system. Well, the first step is to have whoever made the decision to go to this system without considering your business needs to find a solution for you, either by interfacing with the vendor or exploring third-party solutions. This isn't always that effective though 🙂 If you have a competent GIS consultant working for you, they should be able to work with the vendor to find an export methodology that meets your needs. If you really have to explore this yourself... If this is point data and MapGuide is getting all of the data from SQL Server, then it should be fairly easy for you to export this information to a CSV format. I'm assuming that Autocad has a facility to import a point layer from CSV. If MapGuide is using a combination of SDF (mapping files similar to SHP, but with limited data) and SQL Server then you may be able to do something similar by exporting the data into CSV, importing the SDF into Autocad (is this possible in straight Autocad?) and linking the two. To me, this situation screams FME. (www.safe.com). This product can read SDF with an install of the SDF COM Toolkit (comes with MapGuide), can read SQL Server through ODBC, and can write to shapefile or dwg. I have found that the easiest way of importing complex data is to convert to SHP via FME and then to import into Autodesk Map, but you can go directly to DWG as well. No object data writing yet though. There is an evaluation version of FME available on the Safe website. Jason
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi, MapGuide will read point data directly from SQLServer. You just need a table with X and Y fields and then in MG author have a point layer from an OLE-DB data source. Get rid of the shape files and update the SQLServer points using standard SQL commands. Your solution will become neater, faster and more flexible. Regards, Crispin "ahmer77" wrote in message news:20133057.1086632773442.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi there! > > Something came up and i guess that this forum is the best resource. > > I work on traffic safety diagrams. I use a legend block in autocad to import accident points and data associated with the points (shp/dbf files). The problem is that now we are moving to Autodesk Mapguide server for our accident analysis software. The software contains an export tool, which exports the accident points to an autocad file. Our consultant told us that there is no data associated with these points. This puts us in trouble since we used the shape(shp/dbf) files to import accident data like accident type, date, etc This data can be put as labels and symbols in the accident diagram. The points without any data is useless for us. > > We are using an SQL database with Mapguide server. The accident analysis software couples the two into one system. > > So my questions are: > > 1. In Autodesk Mapguide, Is it possible to import data associated with accident points? > 2. If not, is there a workaround for this? > > help needed:) > > thanks, > waj
Message 4 of 4
charlineavey

Here is a workaround. See if your vendor can put the accident points on the record id layer. Then with Map you can export to MapGuide sdf the points with the layer being the mapguide key. Then when you author the sdf you can join to a secondary table in SQL server table.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report