Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues selecting point features using ODBC Data Connection - MGE 2010

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
NeilMYoung
610 Views, 4 Replies

Issues selecting point features using ODBC Data Connection - MGE 2010

I have many layers tied to an ODBC data connection that have been marked as selectable layers in the map. Many of these layers connect to the same data connection, and are differentiated by filter on each layer.

When users try to select a single feature by clicking on a point, it works for some layers and not for others. If a user selects a window and drags it over the features, they will be selected with no trouble. It just doesn't work for some of the layers if there is a single click on a point.

I am wondering if the number of point records coming from the odbc layer has anything to do with this behavior. It seems to be more prevalent on layers where there are more than ~1200 points. Is there a limitation to the nuimber of features that MGE can handle for this type of functionality?

Any assistance is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jackie.ng
in reply to: NeilMYoung

The golden rule of layer selectability is if FDO can't detect identity properites (primary keys) from your feature source, your layer won't be selectable.

This is a common problem if your ODBC connection is to something like an excel spreadsheet, where there is no way to enforce data integrity (why you would source your data from a spreadsheet is a topic for another discussion)

Studio provides the ability to specify the identity properties in the ODBC feature source editor.

- Jackie

Message 3 of 5
NeilMYoung

Thanks Jackie, but all my point layers are connected to the same table in the same sql server (non spatial) database. Couldn't use sql server provider, because I need the coordinates to plot the locations.

I am stumped as to why some layers the selection works when you clck on the point, and other's won't. They all will select features if you draw a selection box over them, just certain layers won't select a single point when you click on them individually.

For now I have told users to just drag the selection tool to create a small box around the point, and that works, but what is so frustrating is that I can't seem to figure out why it is doing this on some layers and not others, when they are using the exact same ODBC connection to the sql database - even to the same table!

Seems to only happen on layers where there are more than ~1500 features. So I am curious how the select feature event works under the hood. Could the volume of data be casuing some sort of timeout?

Again thanks for the response, but am still looking for some insight as to why this is happening. Especially since the layer the users want to select happens to be one of the most important in the map. Checked the server error logs, adn nothing.

Message 4 of 5
jackie.ng

Are some layers based off of views with joins? FDO can't detect identity properties from views containing joins unless they have an index on them or a schema override has been applied (which you can do with the ODBC feature source editor)

- Jackie

Message 5 of 5
dswilson

Can you try adding one of the layers that doesn't work to a new map and see if selection works. I'm wondering if there is some kind of bug with multiple connections to the same source in the same map.

Regards,

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report