Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a DWG file with text elements and symbology

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3147 Views, 9 Replies

Import a DWG file with text elements and symbology

It seems like this should be simple, but apparently not.  I have a very, very simple DWG file.  It consists of one polyline and one text element (each on a seperate layer).  I want to display this in MapGuide Enterprise 2011.  If I use MapGuide Studio to load the DWG file, it creates one SDF file, 2 Layer definitions (one for each DWG layer), and a Map definition.  I can put the Map into a web layout and I see the following:

1.  The polyline is a solid black line (no symbology from the DWG file is carried over)

2.  The text element is a point, and there is no attribute field containing the actual text from the DWG field.

It seems odd to me that Autodesk's own map server product would handle DWG's so poorly.  I can load the same file into ArcGIS server and it looks pretty much like the original DWG file!  I've tried exporting to SDF from the AutoCad Map menu and gotten nearly the same results.  Is there some other way to load a DWG file into MapGuide that I'm missing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pg002a
in reply to: Anonymous

When you want to convert dwg to sdf you need to add some attribute to text before conversion, attribute is text contents. So all you need to do is like this: Output->AS SDF->give a filename->Feature class->Select Class->Object Properties->Text->Text and fill the Contents box, after that you convert text as point which have attribute field "Contents".  I added picture too I think it can help you to convert.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pg002a

Thanks - I was able to get the text contents in that way and it looks like text height, rotation, etc can be exported the same way.  It's not ideal, but at least it's something.

But what about line symbology?  Is there any way to export that into MapGuide.  We often have drawings with dozens of different line symbols.  I would hate to have to manually recreate those every time I bring a drawing into MapGuide.

Message 4 of 10
pg002a

Convert DWG line style to sdf is not possible, you must manually add style with Studio and its not the easist way to do. Its possible to use DWF file instead SDF, then you have same linetypes as DWG have.

Kajar

Message 5 of 10
plantech1

After 5 years of waiting, you would think that Autodesk would have the ability to bring in their own format.  They had this in 6.5 and now it is just plain unresponsive.  One thing we do to mimic the old MG 6.5 with selectable data is to create a dwf (after configuring the dwf DETE pcp with a few tweaks) and a single sdf with all elements and desired attributes.  Bring  both data sources and create separate layers.  The SDF should be selectable with attributes and make the line small, or colorless. . Put both layers into a layer folder and don't display the detail in the legend for each layer (Use the folder to turn the layer on/off). 

Not holding my breath for dwg fdo to appear but I am turning blue.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: plantech1

I'll have to look more into DWF files.  I've never been able to successfully export a DWG file into a DWF file, but maybe I'll figure it out.

I see that I can get things like linetype and color into the SDF file the same way as text contents.  That at least could be helpful in getting the MapGuide layers styled somewhat like the DWG files. 

Message 7 of 10
pg002a

If you want export DWG data to DWF the easiest way is to open DWG with MAP 3d then from  task pane->Tools->Publist to Mapguide...and done, drawing is converted as DWF and uploaded to Mapguide.

Kajar

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pg002a

I'm using "Land Companion Enabled Map 2009" and I don't see that exact command in the menu.  But I was able to type in "mappublishtomapguide" and that successfully connected to my MapGuide server and loaded a DWF file to it.  I was also able to manually plot a DWF with the DWF6 ePlot.pc3 file and do the same thing through MapGuide Studio.  I think was having trouble before because the DWF6 ePlot.pc3 file was missing on my workstation, so I kept trying to make 3D DWF files, which apparently are not compatible with MapGuide. 

Message 9 of 10
gluckett

I understand your impatience (5+ years).  What would really solve this issue is an

"Autodesk FDO Provider for DWG" (like the one that is built-in with MG 6.5)

Message 10 of 10
bgra

See Generate Labels in the MGE 2011 Getting Started manual (pg74).  You can bring in text from you drawing (no need for a DWF or SDF). In MG Studio select your layer that has the text by double clicking. This should open a tab with your layer name. Since you have a point being displayed for this layer go down to Point Style and for the Feature Label hit the ellipses (...) and in "Property to Display" select TextString. Preview the layer settings if you like it hit the save button to apply it to your Map. If you don't want the point (dot) displayed select Style of the Geometry for your text layer and pick the ellipses and clear the check mark for Style a Point Symbol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report