Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry Data in SQL Server 2008

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
326 Views, 4 Replies

Geometry Data in SQL Server 2008

Afternoon,

I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help me or tell me that I'm completely going off in the wrong direction!!!

I'm trying to get the Autodesk FDO Provider for SQL Server to work. I can get it to connect to the database and table that I want to use, but MapGuide Studio, claims that there is no geometry for the table, and when I go to view the table it thinks that there is no data in the table.

However, if I remove the data in the geometry column, then MapGuide Studio displays the data held in that table.

I had to generate the geometry data myself, and I think that is the cause of the problem. I found an SQL query online which would convert easting and northing references to geometry data that could be used in SQL Server 2008.

The SQL statement I used is:
UPDATE TestPoints
SET [Geometry] = GEOMETRY::STGeomFromText('POINT(' + CAST(Easting AS VARCHAR(10)) + ' ' + CAST(Northing AS VARCHAR(10)) + ')', 0)

It did generate geometry data but I'm guessing it is not in the correct format for MapGuide.

Does anyone know how I can generate the correct geometry data from the easting and northing references I have, so that I can use SQL Server 2008, the FDO SQL Server provider, and MapGuide Enterprise all together??

Thanks,

Bev
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dswilson
in reply to: Anonymous

You should look into using the new FDO SQL Server 2008 provider. The existing provider cannot read the new format.

http://fdo.osgeo.org/

Regards,
Dave
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - I've got that downloaded and installed. However I'm having an issue trying to connect to the SQL Server 2008.

When I create a new data connection I am hitting a bit of a problem. I get the following error: "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

In the connection properties area I am entering in the following information:
* Username - username I use to access SQL Server
* Password - password for the above user name
* Service - the IP address of the SQL Server
* DataStore - the name of the database containing the data I wish to use

Can someone just confirm for me whether or not I am entering the right information in the connection properties area? Or is there some setting on SQL Server 2008 or in MapGuide that I might have missed that could be causing this problem?

Oh, I do have SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode enabled on the SQL Server!!

I'd really appreciate any hints or points in the right direction!!

Thanks,

Bev
Message 4 of 5
dswilson

Just to be clear you installed this alongside the MGE Server correct, not on your Studio client or are they on the same machine?

I have not tried Windows authentication with this provider. I would suggest using an actual database login.

I haven't worked with this provider other than to see if it installs as it was released in Open Source.

You might want to confirm you can create an ODBC DSN connection to the server you are hitting to make sure the underlying connectivity is working. If that works with Windows Authentication then presumable the provider should as well.

Regards,
Dave
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I have installed the FDO provider on the machine that is running MGE server. The Studio client is on a different machine to the server.

I am using the SQL database login and password, which I know work cause it would work with the Autodesk SQL provider driver. So know that that's all OK.

I can create an ODBC DSN connection, and can create an ODBC connection in the Studio client as well - both connect successfully to the database.

So not really sure why when I use the open source provider it seems to time out... Oh well I'll keep googl-ing!!!

Thanks,

Bev

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report