Infrastructure Map Server Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Infrastructure Map Server Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Infrastructure Map Server topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to a File Geodatabase or Personal Geodatabase (ESRI)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4057 Views, 5 Replies

Connecting to a File Geodatabase or Personal Geodatabase (ESRI)

Hi! I am trying to create a campus map for the university and am experiencing technical difficulty.

How can I make a direct connection to our file or personal geodatabase? Here's what I have already attempted

1)  Using ODBC to create a data connection to our File Geodatabase made in ESRI ArcCatalog and ArcMap to produce our map in Mapguide, but have been returned the following error:

An exception occurred in FDO component. Property 'Geometry' from class

'Default:Buildings' has no database mapping

2) Connecting using the same method above to our Personal Geodatabase, but we keep getting the same error message.

3) Creating an "FDO" Direct Connection (Feature Data Object) to our file and personal database but received the same error message.

Can anyone who knows please advice?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dswilson
in reply to: Anonymous

A personal geodatabase has a custom schema implementation that the ODBC provider can't process. You should look into using the OGR provider which you will have to download from the OSGEO FDO website. I believe this provider can connect to that source.

Regards,

Dave

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dswilson

Hello Dave, 

I am a new MapGuide User.
I have developed a geodatabase in ArcGIS, however, i want to publish it on internet using Mapguide. I managed to connect the data from .mdb format to mapguide using OGR Provider. However, the data cannot be displayed. Could u give me some sort of solution or alternative to achieve my aim as well as retaining the centralized database properties. i really appreciate ur help. Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
rieksp

Hi,

FDO does not provide native access to ESRI's file-based and personal geodatabases from within the MapGuide Enterprise environment.The only option in this environment is to download/install the Open Source FDO Provider for OGR which does provide readonly access to the personal geodatabase (.mdb). This solution is not validated and support by Autodesk for use with MapGuide Enterprise, but I understand some customers have found it useful.

Secondly, I want to provide an alternative path to a solution allowing you to natively read/write both Personal and File-based Geodatabases. This option is available via AutoCAD Map 3D 2011 (32-bit) using the FDO Provider for ArcGIS (available to Map 3D Subscription customers). This Provider would allow you natively read these file-formats and then within Map 3D, you could convert content to one of the many formats shared by Map 3D and MapGuide Enterprise, such as SDF, SQLite, etc...  A slightly longer workflow, but hopefully a way forward if you need to use the ESRI data with MapGuide Enterprise.

Regards // Peter

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

thanks for your answer Peter.

what im trying to do here is a direct relation from the interface to the database, so any update in database will be reflected realtime in the interface (mapguide) without any lenghty process.

somehow, thanks for responding.

Message 6 of 6
rieksp

The root cause of not providing access to file-based and personal geodatabases from our server product lies in the ESRI licensing of the ArcEngine library needed to access those formats. As far as I'm told, the ArcEngine license is not available for server/multi-user deployments and hence we cannot provide a solution from MapGuide Enterprise.

Regards // Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report