Infrastructure Map Server General Discussion

Infrastructure Map Server General Discussion

Reply
*Jason Birch
Message 1 of 7 (319 Views)

Application of MapGuide Open Source

319 Views, 6 Replies
02-10-2006 11:13 PM
Hi all,

If anyone's interested in an example of how flexible the new MapGuide
Open Source (and MapGuide Enterprise eventually) is, I have made public
an experimental service that uses this application to serve City of
Nanaimo vector data to Google Earth dynamically.

If you have Google Earth installed, go to this page and click on the
nanaimoMaster link:

http://earth.nanaimo.ca/data.html

As you zoom in, you will be able to see park points and parcel polygons,
both of which link to PHP reports. Using the rich API (and with the
assistance of an example script provided by Bob Bray at Autodesk) we
serve different data depending on the view scale.

These features are generated on-the-fly from data stored in SDF+ format.
As you move around, Google Earth sends PHP the bounding coordinates of
the current window. Once you are within a certain distance of the
ground, these coordinates are used as a filter to a MGOS spatial query
that accesses the SDF+ files through an FDO provider, and returns a
result set of features in the current window. These features are then
iterated and sent to Google Earth in KML format.

You could as easily use this methodology to build an AJAX server that
takes the current Google Local/Yahoo Maps/MSN Live Local bounding box
and generates placemarks for you. Of course, I'm sure that the next
version's HTML viewer will be good enough that there will be no desire
to do this. :smileyhappy:

Jason
*Warren M
Message 2 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

02-14-2006 06:57 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
VERY COOL Jason!!!
Extremely interesting concepts...

The future is 'wide open' ;-)

Warren M

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 07:13:58 +0000, Jason Birch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If anyone's interested in an example of how flexible the new MapGuide
> Open Source (and MapGuide Enterprise eventually) is, I have made public
> an experimental service that uses this application to serve City of
> Nanaimo vector data to Google Earth dynamically.
>
> If you have Google Earth installed, go to this page and click on the
> nanaimoMaster link:
>
> http://earth.nanaimo.ca/data.html
>
> As you zoom in, you will be able to see park points and parcel polygons,
> both of which link to PHP reports. Using the rich API (and with the
> assistance of an example script provided by Bob Bray at Autodesk) we
> serve different data depending on the view scale.
>
> These features are generated on-the-fly from data stored in SDF+ format.
> As you move around, Google Earth sends PHP the bounding coordinates of
> the current window. Once you are within a certain distance of the
> ground, these coordinates are used as a filter to a MGOS spatial query
> that accesses the SDF+ files through an FDO provider, and returns a
> result set of features in the current window. These features are then
> iterated and sent to Google Earth in KML format.
>
> You could as easily use this methodology to build an AJAX server that
> takes the current Google Local/Yahoo Maps/MSN Live Local bounding box
> and generates placemarks for you. Of course, I'm sure that the next
> version's HTML viewer will be good enough that there will be no desire
> to do this. :smileyhappy:
>
> Jason
Member
r.popiolek
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-03-2006
Message 3 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

03-03-2006 06:46 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
hay jason,
good job.

my question - could we come in contact - we are interested in the "solution" you made...
we have an internal map system up and running - MapGuide
Open Source (archaeology of the greater berlin area, germany) and we are interested to publish dynamically our data into google earth...

could you send me the "receipt" or give me your e-mail-contact to ask you some questions...would be great...

with best regards from frosty germany
roy...
r.popiolek@livemap.de
New Member
Lubomir
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-03-2006
Message 4 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

03-13-2006 02:56 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
Nice job! How can you catch Google Earth's PHP? Do you use Enterprise Edition of Google Earth?
Lubomir
*Jason Birch
Message 5 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

03-13-2006 07:11 AM in reply to: *Jason Birch
Lubomir wrote:
> Nice job! How can you catch Google Earth's PHP? Do you use Enterprise Edition of Google Earth?

I'm not interacting directly with Google Earth's services. I'm
providing data through a mechanism that is built into the KML data
format, called network links. These allow you to provide data on a
dynamic basis.

More here:
http://www.keyhole.com/kml/kml_doc.html

Jason
New Member
James Fraser
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-01-2006
Message 6 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

05-01-2006 06:58 PM in reply to: *Jason Birch
Hey great job

I am working on implementing a mapguide opensource install and am running into problems with the php install on my server. I have been using the latest install guide, and the virtual directories etc are created but I get a php error, when the site is accessed? A recipe that works right about now , would be wonderful Thanks in advance
*Jason Birch
Message 7 of 7 (319 Views)

Re: Application of MapGuide Open Source

05-01-2006 08:52 PM in reply to: *Jason Birch
James Fraser wrote:
> but I get a php error, when the site is accessed?

Hi James,

I would encourage you to search for the answer in the MapGuide Open
Source "users" mailing list archives.

https://mapguide.osgeo.org/servlets/SearchList?listName=users

or

http://www.nabble.com/OSGeo-MapGuide-f14845.html

If you can't find your answer, sign up for an osgeo.org account, join
the mapguide users mailing list, and send the list an email with a more
detailed description of your configuration and the error you're seeing.

Jason
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.