Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SID Files in Impressions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nickien
539 Views, 5 Replies

SID Files in Impressions?

Has anyone used .SID files in Impressions? We use these aerials in all of our CAD drawings and everytime I convert it to Impressions, the aerials - the images disappear. The only way I've found to fix this is to copy TIFFS into the project and forgo using SID files altogether.

Please help!
Thanks,
Nickie

Omaha, NE
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
brentvos
in reply to: nickien

Considering that AutoCAD 2008 didn't natively support SID files (needed the raster design object enabler to see them), I wasn't surprised when I had the same problem with my plans. I've used Irfanview to convert the SID file to TIF and that was the only way to see them in Impression. Unless they make an object enabler that is compatible with Impression or add native support for SID files, you're probably out of luck except for converting the images. 😞

Brent

Message 3 of 6
ShanaProd

Correct, we don't have support for this right now. Is this a major wishlist item for Impression users? are you able to get the same information by converting the image to TIF and importing it separately?

thanks,
shana
Message 4 of 6
brentvos

The bulk of the Aerial Photos I've worked with are in the SID format because they are smaller in size...initially. For me it's dependant on what the final use of the photo is for.

Unless I'm printing my drawings or impression views for a presentation board, I usually NEED to convert to TIF because PDFs with SID files are just too large to send around to people over email. Adobe Acrobat cannot reduce the filesize of PDFs with SID files, but can drastically reduce the quality of TIF files to make them easily viewed over the web, so I end up most of time using TIF files.

Ultimately, I'd say it would be quite nice to be able to use SID files as a user who does mainly road interchange presentations, but whether or not it would be useful to a large percentage of the users is another thing altogether. Just my thoughts.

Brent
Message 5 of 6
panzaph

Shana,

I'm new to the forums but thought I'd chime in on this...support for SID files in Impression is probably my highest priority wish item for future iterations of the software. Virtually all the work I do in Impression benefits from the presence of a background aerial image and MrSID is one of the most widely used and popular formats for aerial imagery.

It would be nice to see support come in the future..it would definitely speed up the process if image conversions weren't necessary.
Message 6 of 6
ShanaProd

it's on our wishlist (1194973) - i'll set it for priority to be sure it gets reviewed at the appropriate time.

thanks,
Shana

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report