Did you mean: 

Is this a bug? or am I going mad

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
greg.steel
452 Views, 5 Replies

Is this a bug? or am I going mad

Has anyone else experienced this?????

I am trying to create some presentation plans and elevations but this is driving me mad.

I want it to look like hand drawn ink lines so I set up a bunch of styles to represent different thicknesses of lines and differnt overshoots etc.

Everything went well and I went to save as a pdf so I could print and check it. It all looked fine. The next day I opened the same file made a couple of changes and pdf'd it again. This time there seemed to be no anti aliasing applied to the lines and no rounded endcaps. When I looked in the line styles, rounded endcaps were still selected but did not appear in either the exported pdf or now in the viewport of Impressions.

If I change the endcap to standard then back to round the endcaps appear back in the viewport and if I save as pdf they export fine but if I save and close the file when I open it again the round endcaps are gone and the pdf has no anti aliasing AGAIN. Its as if it needs an update or refresh button.

It would'nt be so bad but I have 24 Line styles so every time I open the file to ammend or print I have to go through all 24 styles and changes the endcap style.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Could someone test this for me???

I have tried it on 3 different pc's all with the same results I have 8 images to do and there is no point starting them if I can not save them properly. If anyone has any idea whats going on or how to get round this please could you let me know. I have attached a simple example of the pen style. Can some of you try opening it? and when it opens do you see round end caps? and if you save it as a pdf does it have anti aliasing?

Scrap that !!!!!! For some reason I'm not allow to attach a .irt file so here's a couple of jpgs showing to the end results

Thanks in advance Greg
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
brentvos
in reply to: greg.steel

I tried to duplicate your results but was unable to. I made a simple box like the one in your image, set to rounded endcaps with overshoot,75% opacity and roughened. I would PDF the file, save and close, reopen the file make some changes and PDF again. Rinse and repeat a few times and no problems here. Maybe somehow your file is getting corrupted over time?

If you can find a place to host the IRF file and link to it here, that might help solve your problem.

Brent
Message 3 of 6
greg.steel

Thanks for having a look Brent. I have posted the irf file here

http://www.gregsteel.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pentest.irf

The problem seems to replicate it's self even wiith a clean file, a new pen style on a different PC, so I don't think it's a file or style corruption. Could it be a combination of settings in the style pallet that is confusing impressions? You know like using a round endcap and a marker pen.

Regards Greg Edited by: greg.steel on Nov 26, 2008 5:43 PM
Message 4 of 6
brentvos

Hi Greg, I have a bit of a lead on what this may be. After a few tries I was able to get the same results as you.

After PDFing your file and immediately getting the issue, I made a new file to try from scratch. I did three boxes this time, each with a different pen type (Standard, Marker, Pencil) to see what would happen with successive saves and PDFing. This time the result was fine, but after closing and reopening the drawing, then PDFing again, I got the same problem...but only with the Marker style.

So it appears that the marker has some issues that it develops over time, and it's probably a bug in the program. You might want to try changing the styles of your lines to Standard for now and hope for the best.

Brent
Message 5 of 6
greg.steel

Thanks Brent, your a star.

Your right changing my lines to standard has worked (for now anyway) and to be honest I can't see much difference between marker and standard lines anyway.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards Greg
Message 6 of 6
ShanaProd

Thanks Brent!

I've logged the defect into our system, 1169848 - we'll research it here.

thanks,
Shana

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report