Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impression randomly crashing when using raster multiblocks from style library

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jameswelch8411
2648 Views, 7 Replies

Impression randomly crashing when using raster multiblocks from style library

As the title says really, i'm setting up an Impression style file to be used on a number of projects and i'm wanting to use some raster images for tree blocks. I've set these up in photoshop with a slight transparency and drop shadow (as I can't find a way to apply these to a solid raster in Impression) and then making them into multiblocks to be used to replace regular autocad blocks.

The blocks work ok but when using the block pallete from the style library seems to cause the program to crash... totally randomly (it wasn't doing this before). Sometimes the program crashes as soon as I load the blocks from the library, other times I can apply all blocks to the drawing and have it looking the way I want and then bang... it crashes. There seems to be no particular trigger that causes it to crash.

There is no error message, I just get the Autodesk program has stopped working window with option to send error report, which I must have done 50 times already.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and know of a possible cause or solution. I'm assuming it's the raster images that are causing it, i've tried both .tif and .png but no luck

Thanks

James

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
eva_g
in reply to: jameswelch8411

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem. I know this post is years old but can you please share the solution to this problem if you managed to solve it.

Would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Message 3 of 8
pendean

No fix: this software was discontinued years ago with no updates or fixes. It exists solely because autodesk has nothing to offer in its place.
Consider acquiring more professional tools like Adobe Illustrator and others.
Message 4 of 8
eva_g

Thanks for your post Pendean. I know the software was discountinued, but I really like working with it (apart from the 'hickups'). I haven't found any other software that can give quite the same results so quickly and easily. Thought someone might have found a way around this problem, but I will just have to live with it I guess. 

Many thanks.

Eva

Message 5 of 8
vlsheehan
in reply to: eva_g

There was an update years ago. I can't find it on Autodesk's support page and I still have a copy of it so I copied file to my Comcast storage site.

https://home.comcast.net/~vsheehan/impression/impression_r3_win7_hotfix.zip

Instructions:

You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft Windows operating system to complete this installation process.

1. Close Autodesk Impression 3.
  2. Navigate to the Api folder. For example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk Impression 3\Api\.
  3. In this folder, find the UILib.dll file and rename it UILib.bak.
  4. In this folder, find the CustomControls.dll file and rename it CustomControls.bak.
  5. Download and copy the updated UILib.dll and CustomControls.dll file to the Apifolder.
  6. Restart Autodesk Impression 3.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 6 of 8
gtrias
in reply to: eva_g

I might suggest a brute force solution especially if it was working at one point. Uninstall and Reinstall. Don't forget to apply the hot fix.

Message 7 of 8
eva_g
in reply to: gtrias

Hi gtrias,

many thanks for your response. I have tried the software on different computers and also applied the hotfix. Seems like the problem appears mostly after I subsitute CAD blocks with PNG images (trees etc). I have learnt to be more patient with the software and apply the fast display or pack some layers.

Thanks
Eva
Message 8 of 8
eva_g
in reply to: vlsheehan

Hi vsheehan,

many thanks for your response. I have tried the software on different computers and also applied the hotfix. Seems like the problem appears mostly after I subsitute CAD blocks with PNG images (trees etc). I have learnt to be more patient with the software and apply the fast display or pack some layers.

Thanks
Eva

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report