Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impression 3 w/Civil 3D 2011 and W7 - file invalid error and cannot be imported

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gwunz
8038 Views, 11 Replies

Impression 3 w/Civil 3D 2011 and W7 - file invalid error and cannot be imported

I am attempting to import an autocad drawing into impression.  I have applied the Windows 7 hotfix so the program doesnt crash when attempting to import, it just attempts the import, gets to a certain percentage, and then gives me the error.  I have tried the import on a drawing that worked before upgrading to Windows 7 and same error.  I have attempted to adjust all my import settings as well.  This did not work either.  The only thing that seems to work is if i detach all my xrefs.  any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rob
Community Visitor
in reply to: gwunz

Try saving the file as a completely different file name...ie. 1.dwg...it worked on mine...i think it gets confused if you use the same file name multiple times.

Message 3 of 12
faugustom

I'm having the same issue with AutoCAD Architecture 2008, Impression 3 and Windows 7.

Renaming the files doesn't solve the problem...

If I create a new file and draw lines, arcs, polylines... and import it into Impression, OK... but if I insert a single block, the import doesn't work anymore...

Message 4 of 12
gwunz
in reply to: faugustom

The only way I was able to get it to work was by importing on an xp machine.  Once I had it imported, I was then able to open it up on a W7 PC.  Not that this helps you, but it was the only workaround I had.

Message 5 of 12
Tudor_Timotin

Hi everyone,

I've been battling with the same issue - "file is invalid" when trying to import it in Impression and I think I might have found at least one reason for which it comes up (at least in my case). After a lot of trial and error testing - exploding blocks, moving them on different layers, changing the layer names, merging layers - I narrowed it down to the color of one layer - it wasn't in one of the 255 classic Autocad colors, but in true color. Once I changed that to the basic Acad index color it worked like a charm.

Hope it helps someone,

I'm using W7 64bit and the export came from Acad 2010

Take care,

Tudor

Message 6 of 12
faugustom

That's It! Worked here with "Classic" colors... creating a new .std file right now to convert my drawings!

Thank's

Message 7 of 12
robinsonhall

Other than the 'fix' below (which doesn't seem to work for me), has anyone found a consistent way to import drawings into Impression 3 on 64bit Windows 7?

Seems ridiculous that with a brand new top-spec machine in our office, I'm still having to turn to others to load drawings before I can access them!

I've tried resetting layer colours as suggested to no avail. Even if it did work for me, its creating a lot of un-necessary workload.

Any patch forthcoming from AutoDesk to fix this issue?

Message 8 of 12
ziegler
in reply to: robinsonhall

I have the same Problem with Impression 3 importing dwg files from Autocad. Neither color nor rxref trick work here.

Win 7 / 64 Bit / ACAD 2010 / Impression 3 / patch applied.

Best regards.

Message 9 of 12
robinsonhall

If its any use, the only advice AutoDesk could offer me via a support ticket request was to save the drawing as a DWF, then import that into Impression.

It works - not ideal - but it work.

Message 10 of 12
ziegler
in reply to: robinsonhall

Thanks for your reply, I will try with dwf.

Best regards

Alexander Ziegler

Message 11 of 12
CamG11

Has anyone found a solution to this problem.  We're only just starting to look at using Impression for our rendering however have hit the same snag importing drawings.  The program is not much use if you can't import drawings.  We've been using Corel Draw for year to render drawings (vector based program) but thought Autodesk could have a better solution.  Seems a shame that they look as thought they are not supporting this product properly or helping develop it further to reach it's full potential.  It has the potential to be a powerful tool.

Message 12 of 12
brent

Great comment on the True Color, I changed the one and the file imported perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report