Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Issue: Linetypes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mandino
2744 Views, 6 Replies

Importing Issue: Linetypes

When I import my linework from AutoCad into Civil 3d... the linetypes (dashed, hidden, phantom, etc.) are not carried over into Impression. All the linetype are continous instead. I could see this being an issue with hatching if Impression didn't see the dashed lines as a single "connected" line. Is there any way to get the linetypes imported into Impression?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ShanaProd
in reply to: mandino

Let me know which specific linetypes aren't coming in, and I can log those as a wishlist.

thanks,
shana
Message 3 of 7
brentvos

I've been having a similar problem with importing AutoCAD files into Impression. I've been trying to insert just one of the normal linetypes in (DASHED) for a road display board. I've tried various linetype scales in the drawing before importing to impression but it always becomes a continuous line regardless. I use the default settings for importing and applying different strokes does nothing. I've changed the drawing units anywhere from 1 drawing unit = 1 millimeter to 1 drawing unit = 1 kilometer. Am I missing something completely? It looks okay in AutoCAD (both model and layout views) but just won't go over.

Also, will it be possible in the future to support custom linetypes? I have a couple different dashed paint line linetypes that I'd like to use with impression but at this point that does not appear to be possible.
Message 4 of 7
C3D_RickGraham

I'd like to second the request for custom linetypes. We are a Civil firm and do site plan renderings. I need to show treelines which we have in AutoCAD (well civil3D) as a treeline.shx. If anyone has a workaround for respectible looking treelines, I'd like to hear from you.

Rick
Thanks,
Rick
coauthor Mastering Civil 3D 2012
I blog at http://simplycivil3d.wordpress.com
Message 5 of 7
brentvos

A possible workaround would be to make a tree line linetype block, ie. One segment of the linetype. Insert the block into the drawing along the tree line using the MEASURE command to array it along the tree line at a set interval. Impression should be able to read the line of blocks, and if not use a generic block and then use the block replacement in Impression to get a nice looking tree line. Hope that works! I'm about to do the same for paint lines on roads, since I can't figure out why dashed lines won't work.
Message 6 of 7
sturner7277

when you import the dwg set your stroke to 'none'
-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 7 of 7
deric

I use a lot of custom text linetypes.  To work around this issue, I export my file to a DWF and then open the DWF in Impression3.  It breaks the linetypes into lines/text, but at least my text is still there.  See if that will work for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report