Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is the Windows 7 hotfix for Impression 3

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
makovich
13279 Views, 12 Replies

Here is the Windows 7 hotfix for Impression 3

For those that have trouble finding it. (Info below)

Greets!

Max.

(From Autodesk website):

This hotfix corrects a problem with Autodesk® Impression 3 on Microsoft® Windows®7 where attempting to open, save or import a drawing will cause Autodesk Impression 3 to fail.

Note: This hotfix addresses the known issue above, but does not provide full support for Impression 3 on Windows 7.

Installation Instructions

You must have administrative privileges on your Microsoft Windows operating system to complete this installation process.

1. Close Autodesk Impression 3.
  2. Navigate to the Api folder. For example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk Impression 3\Api\.
  3. In this folder, find the UILib.dll file and rename it UILib.bak.
  4. In this folder, find the CustomControls.dll file and rename it CustomControls.bak.
  5. Download and copy the updated UILib.dll and CustomControls.dll file to the Api folder. 
  6. Restart Autodesk Impression 3.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
artisteroi
in reply to: makovich

this hot fix keeps Impression from crashing while trying to perform open or import, but you still cant open or import. the functions dont work.

(win 7-64bit)

Message 3 of 13
makovich

Here is a known bug that may be causing your trouble:

"One issue that makes Impression crash is if any of your imported CAD layers are not in Index Colours. If they are True Colours then this has a massive impact."

I suggest that in order to overcome some issues, try saving your drawing in an older format, let's say Autocad 2004 for example, and see if the older format file still has the issues.

Let us know if the above helps.

Max.

Message 4 of 13
artisteroi

tried saving in older formats (and dxf and dwf), didnt chnage anything.  The colors are set for the basic 8. still doesnt import.

Could it be possible that the file I am trying to import in to, was originally an Impression 2 file? Would that effect it?

Message 5 of 13
makovich
in reply to: artisteroi

Mmmm.... have you tried importing the CAD file into a blank new Impression file?

If that works, maybe you can save it as an Impression file, and afterwards, try to merge both Impression files.

Ah, and save the Impression 2 file with Impression 3, then close it and reopen it.

I hope this helps.

Max.

Message 6 of 13
artisteroi

tried all that. nothing works. 😞 thanks for the suggestions though. I have decioded to use my old backup pc which has XP64 on it. It all seems to be working fine on that box.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the files. I just think the import and open functions are not compatiblew with windows 7

Message 7 of 13
artisteroi

Dimensions. the dims cant be imported. either remove dims or explode dims. It will import fine after that. Verified

Message 8 of 13
makovich

Sadly, a lot of people report problems with W7

I hope that Autodesk addresses this problem soon, but I do not have high hopes of this happening since it seems they are sort of leaving this program hanging in limbo.

😞

Max.

Message 9 of 13
artisteroi

impression has been dropped. 3 is the last version. 😞 the problem is unlikly to be rectified. ever.

Message 10 of 13
makovich

Has there been an official announcement in this regard?

I know support has been ostensibly dropped, but I have been asking if Impression has been officially discontinued but nobody wants to admit that (yet).

Max.

Message 11 of 13
artisteroi

not officially. The tech support guy I spoke with said it would not be continued and that support would only be for people with subscription. which I have. thats a pretty good source even though it's not a direct press release. So dont expect anything further from impression.

I kinda hope they release the sourtce code and let the community continue to build it if they are not going to persue it. That would be good to make it open source.

Message 12 of 13
makovich

Well, it's not official, but as close to it as possible. 😞

I sure wish they would sell it to somebody with the will to continue development or Open Source it.

this definitely saddens me. This program was such a great idea and it does so much so good already!

It seems I'll have to keep a XP installation indefinitely, since I use Impression a lot.

Max.

Message 13 of 13
gtrias

More recently I've noticed that I'm not seeing the stability problems that were issues in Win7 installations even with the hot fix.  Could a windows update have fixed the Win7 problems with Impression? In any case it's good news.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report