Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't take away Impression

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
ellison
7959 Views, 25 Replies

Don't take away Impression

This may not be the best forum for this...I want to convey to Autodesk my appreciation for Impression 3, and ask that Autodesk continue to support and improve the product in the future - even if that means simply updating it to work with more recent versions of the AutoCAD file format.

I use this product frequently to turn AutoCAD-generated site plans into presentation site plans.  Attached is a good example of the source AutoCAD file (easy to draw; note that trees are merely circles) and the resulting site plan produced in about 30 min. in Impression.

Most architects I know do this sort of work in Adobe Photoshop, but that generates enormous 100MB+ files (My Impression file is generally <2MB), it is a slower process, and making revisions is more difficult.  I could also do this work in Adobe Illustrator, but Impression's media, fills, effects, and presets are geared more towards architects.

I'm the only architect I know that uses this software - which is probably related to why there has not been a new release in so long.  For what it's worth, I'd really like not to lose it.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
richld
in reply to: gtrias

Message 22 of 26
cadgrrl
in reply to: richld

Can anyone let me know if it's being continued and supported? I like it too, for the same reasons. I use it in instruction as I think it's a lot easier for students to use this than to teach them another application such as Adobe Photoshop. They have enough on their plates, and those that want to learn Adobe Photoshop take classes in it.

Message 23 of 26
JuJitsoup
in reply to: cadgrrl

I'd also like to know that if Impression is genuinely gone are there any equally efficient ways to beautify AutoCAD drawings other than going the Photoshop route? This just isn't feasible for us and we need something which is pretty simple to use just as Impression always (mostly) was and doesn't require huge investment in terms of training and software purchases. Impression was almost the magic bullet solution to this quandry and I cannot fathom why in their infinite (or is that finite?) wisdom they would ever stop supporting such a useful breakthrough product.

Any suggestions for good and perefably cheap alternatives very much appreacited.

FTR we're running AutoCAD 2014 and SketchUp 2015.

Message 24 of 26
pendean
in reply to: JuJitsoup

Would you give up AutoCAD and Sketchup for something more obscure?
And how would you find new staff without limiting your options severely?

Illustrator with Photoshop, and other Adobe bundles, are the industry leader for graphics design and the ones you'll find new staff to use: everything else is much more obscure IMHO and not worth the investment. While easy to use, I bet if you advertise for Impression staff you'll get nothing, correct? Luckily as long as you are on subscription, Impression is there for now. Enjoy the ride.
Message 25 of 26
vlsheehan
in reply to: pendean

I'm not saying it should replace the Adobe products. It should remain to be another tool in the toolbox. I really like how it can be linked to a CAD file.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 26 of 26
pendean
in reply to: vlsheehan

Me too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report