Impression

Impression

Contributor
skattula
Message 1 of 22 (922 Views)

cannot import a raster image - please, PLEASE help!

922 Views, 21 Replies
02-25-2010 10:06 AM
At my wit's end...
I tried importing a cad image with a raster image background into Adobe Illustrator, but found Illustrator's CAD interface was a nightmare. About a 12 hours of work down the drain. Now I am finding Impression's raster image import to be one. Already about 4 hours into this...just trying to copy and paste basically.

I have a 3000 x 2000 pixel, 72 pixels per square inch jpg file (42X30 inches, less than 1 meg file size) I have been trying to import as a background into impression....every time I import it comes in fuzzy. In photoshop it is clear as can be. Tried importing, opening it as a new file, copying and pasting, no matter what I do the image is RUINED. I thought that perhaps it was just a function of Impression to save it as a reference and the print would be OK, but upon printing it is still the same unreadable fuzzy image every time. It is a site map, and it is important that the jpg stay large and sharp to be readable.

My hands are literally shaking I am so frustrated.
Employee
rfjerstad
Message 2 of 22 (922 Views)

Re: cannot import a raster image - please, PLEASE help!

02-25-2010 11:10 AM in reply to: skattula
Skattula;

When you import the image are you stretching it down to fit a smaller paper size or did you configure your document to be 42x30 inches. If you didn't stretch the raster after importing it I'm not aware of a reason why you'd see a degraded (fuzzy) image.

There's not a document background option but you can position it and lock it into position so that you could then to additional design work on top of it. Be sure to Arrange your layers so that the raster is pushed all the way to the back before locking it.

HTH's

-Rob
Contributor
skattula
Message 3 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 12:55 PM in reply to: skattula
Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate more than you think!
Nope, not stretching it down, and my document size was and is set at 42X30 inches.
Already tried locking it and all that...and arranged it in back.
I tried importing the image into cad, and then importing the cad file with the image in it, i exported to the cad with the jpg to dwf and imported and it was still degraded. Tried downsizing the image to only 200K and importing it...and it even degraded the already degraded image more (I know, I can't believe it either!). I looked in every menu (literally just scrolled through every single command and menu) to see if there was a master setting for raster import size limits or defaults.....NOTHING.

I'm trying to do a site plan for a masters' thesis project...I've tried Revit, illustrator, and now Impression....spent much time on the forums for all these products.
By the way, i am using the educational version...could this have anything to do with raster images being unreadable?
Contributor
skattula
Message 4 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 01:01 PM in reply to: skattula
my only hope this point is someone from the autodesk team sees this post and can help out...
Employee
rfjerstad
Message 5 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 01:24 PM in reply to: skattula
Skattula,

This sounds odd and I can't think of any reason you are seeing a degraded image - I tried several JPG images of different resolutions and I was not seeing a fuzzy image unless I stretched the image. Importing a ~2Kx2K image into Impression R3 looked the same as it did opening it MS Picture Viewer or Paint.

If you want to send me the image I can take a quick look at it - there's no difference in raster handling in the educational version compared to the commercial. This has to either be an issue with the image or your graphics hardware. What is your system configuration?

Thanks,

-Rob
Employee
priwer
Message 6 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 01:47 PM in reply to: skattula
Hi - couple of suggestions (it would still be good to send us the image file and your Impression file):
- make sure your graphics card is updated to the latest driver; this could be the source of the problem
- try saving the image as another format (not JPG) and bringing that new format into Impression

Thanks,
Shana
shana.priwer@autodesk.com
Contributor
skattula
Message 7 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 03:34 PM in reply to: skattula
Thanks again for the replies.

I checked my graphics settings...I was at 1280X720 and I changed to 1920 X 1080 resolution...no difference.

I've got an isolated ATI HD 4550 (w2230) graphics card that is 512 MB running Adobe CS4 Suite & Revit rendering just fine.
Windows determined the driver software is up to date.
I converted the jpg to a tiff, png, psd, and gif...same thing each time.

Attached is a low resolution half-size of the image...but when i insert it, it looks about a quarter as sharp.
Employee
rfjerstad
Message 8 of 22 (923 Views)

02-25-2010 04:06 PM in reply to: skattula
Hmmm, your sample image looks fine for me. Can you post a screen grab of what the image looks like on your system in Impression?

Also, I'm assuming you're running the Impression R3 EDU version - can you confirm that?

Thanks,

-Rob
Contributor
skattula
Message 9 of 22 (923 Views)

02-26-2010 08:07 AM in reply to: skattula
yes, i am using Impression 3 Ed Version - just downloaded 5 days ago. I have used ver 2 on this computer in the past with no problems.

This is the Impression screenshot: (it prints out just like this no matter what the print resolution setting)
Contributor
skattula
Message 10 of 22 (923 Views)

02-26-2010 08:11 AM in reply to: skattula
original image screen shot at the same scale
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.