Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Impression?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
andrew.gartland
5616 Views, 10 Replies

Buying Impression?

Seen as it's not supported and it's seemingly impossible to buy impression any more, why not make it free to use?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
makovich
in reply to: andrew.gartland

It seems that Impression is not officially unsupported.
I excahnged a couple of messages with Shaan Hurley from Autodesk and he told me that there are no news from the development team for Impression, but taht´s all.

I think that people at Autodesk are not sure if they shold invest more time and money in this program. I see they are now leaning towards developing Sketchbook Pro and Designer, which are wonderful applications, but are more like graphic arts related.

I think Impression is perfect in an Architect's office since anybody who spends some time with it can come up with a workflow to produce beautiful colored plans and elevations.

The Sketchbook apps are more for a rendering artist, graphic designer or industrial designer.

I think there still is a niche for Impression, but I do not think enough people are even aware Impression even exists, much less what it is and what you can do with it.

I guess if they bundle the current (Impression) version with the current Revit or Autocad, it would create enough interest for the next iteration of the software to be economically successful.

I hope they continue supporting it.

Cheers,

Max V.

Message 3 of 11
andrew.gartland
in reply to: makovich

I've had a play with Sketchbook Designer and, although it's a very ingenious piece of software, I doubt it could acheive the same results and, perhaps more importantly, at the same speed as impression. It'd be nice if we could get an official statement, one way or the other, regarding impression's future: continue to support, update and sell it or abandon any further development and make it free to use. I'd be happy with either.

Message 4 of 11
gtrias

Nice work! I agree with you about Impression. As I understand it, Impression is now in the hands of the people who are in charge of Autocad. I'd suggest sending Carl Bass and the Autocad team your thoughts on Impression e-mail .

Message 5 of 11
gtrias

Andrew- I was wondering if you were still using Impression on a WinXP machine rather than a Win7 machine?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
andrew.gartland
in reply to: gtrias

I am using XP. I work for a local government, so we're not allowed to use anything futuristic like Vista or Win 7 🙂

Message 7 of 11
makovich

It seems to be working best on XP.

At least by reading the many complaints in this forum. It seems like it crashes a lot in Vista and W7.

I was already a Vista user when I started using Impression, so I can´t compare.

Message 8 of 11
dsykes
in reply to: makovich

I have downloaded this software twice as it looks like an easy programs to use. Are there any user guides or is just trail and error.

Message 9 of 11
gtrias
in reply to: dsykes

See attached - Ron Palma also put together a good overview of Impression.

Message 10 of 11
makovich
in reply to: gtrias

Thanks for the document!

Max.

Message 11 of 11

thank for this wonderful thread because it contains a lot of information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report