Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XYZ Triad on screen

XYZ Triad on screen

I'd love to see an XYZ triad that shows exactly which axis is the x, which is the y, and which is the z. That would help identify which direction an item needs to be moved or re-anchored. Thanks!

17 Comments

I was going to say that you can turn on the origin but I just noticed that (a) that's not labled save for color and (b) the colors are as far as I can tell equal intensity R, G, and B, which means that it's probably not going to be usable in its current form for most colorblind people.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

You can open the origin drop down and mouse over x, y or x and it will illuminate the axis.
You can also refrence the little whatchamahoosit a the top right of the screen at top/bottom is z, left/right is x and front/back is y.

.. or there could just be a little x, y, and z near each of the lines whenever the triad is visible 🙂

haughec
Autodesk

We are working on presenting more feedback on XYZ directions in the canvas.  There are two solutions that we are considering

1) Present an XYZ triad in conjunction with the viewcube.  This would provide consistent feedback on the XYZ directions of the open design.

2) Label/Color XYZ manipulators in the context of the Move command to clarify drag directions.

Please let us know if this would address your concerns, or if there is more that we should do.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

(1) sounds sufficient to me but if a manipulator is there then (2) should also be done

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

The UX team is working towards a design that provides a solution to the axis identification issue this idea presents.  Once work is started the idea will be changed from future consideration to accepted.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal use FUS-23276

mark
Explorer

I like the idea of "Present an XYZ triad in conjunction with the viewcube."  Perhaps provide an option to enable or disable this in case someone feels that it clutters their display. 

markBMWHH
Enthusiast

Agreed,  "Present an XYZ triad in conjunction with the viewcube.".  I'm color blind, so this comment is crucial: "the colors are as far as I can tell equal intensity R, G, and B, which means that it's probably not going to be usable in its current form for most colorblind people."  In general, I find the colors in F360 difficult.Any help regarding color is greatly appreciated.

markBMWHH
Enthusiast

When the sketch grid or layout grid is on, a label on the axis is all that's needed.  top/bottom, left/right and front/back are subjective terms.  Axis labels are objective, and will always tell the user what's going on.

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

Would be great on the viewcube 🙂

benoitD336P
Enthusiast

Would be great on with the viewcube 🙂

markBMWHH
Enthusiast
Exactly! Just a little direction for correct orientation.

Thanks, Mark.
markBMWHH
Enthusiast
Exactly! Just a little direction for correct orientation.

Thanks, Mark.
DIYedInTheWool
Explorer

Would love to see this as well. Getting oriented when axis orientation matters seems needlessly difficult.

keqingsong
Community Manager

Hey all, we're implementing this in the upcoming Jan update. Please refer to this thread for reference: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/xyz-axis-not-visible-in-fusion-360-li...

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report