Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Very Basics of Drawing Fusion seems to have forgot UI makes it worse

The Very Basics of Drawing Fusion seems to have forgot UI makes it worse

It will litterally take you guys like 10 minutes to implement. But this one thing is holding you back from having an amazing start to finish PLM product . You failed to include one of the most bacis of things an engineer uses almost daily. The Depth, Counterbore, CounterSink, Degree and Unilateral sympbols. These are the most basic symbolls that any engineer use to efectivly express correct details on a diminsioned drawing.

I waited weeks for the new update hoping you guys would add these basic things. What I found was some bloated feature that was added for surface finish tolerancing. Are you kidding me!!!!! I have made probably 10,000 drawings on other CAD systems CATIA, Solidworks almost everyone one of them had a depth or counterbore symbol allot had unilateral symbol. However none of them had any surface finish tolerance. Really...........

Here is the only option you leave me with. I either have to use a photo editing program to fake the symbol breaking the paramertization and flexiblity that defines CAD. Or I completly omit this part of fusion. Export my models as STL bring them to another CAD system like CATIA where they have the basic symbols for diminsioning. Which again breaks the paramaterazation chain. 

The symobls that you do give us are very very limited in scope. Currently in the GD&T box you only have acess to Dia. However sometimes you need to fake diminsion so you might need the Dia symbol within a Text/Leader box which isn't an option. Sometimes you might even want some of the GD&T symbols or maybe a +/- symbol. 

You see CATIA has a symbol box where you can Insert any symbol into any text box. This is very flexible and very simple. Yet Very Very Powerful.
Untitled.png

9 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

For now you can get some of the symbols the same way AutoCAD used to, for example the degree symbol ° you can enter %%d or \U+00B0. Here's a link to some more info.

If you can find the character you need in the character map you can use the unicode method to get it into Fusion.

Mark

HughesTooling
Consultant

I found a GT&D font here, it's actually an autodesk font.

Here's the characters in the font.

Clipboard02.png

You'll need some sort of cheat sheet for the unicodes, or some of the symbols are mapped to the lower case characters.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

lnonnato
Advocate

I totally agree with you. The drawing module is well behind other modules in Fusion 360. In my opinion, this module cannot be called a proper 2D CAD module.

There are so many features lacking: multi-page drawings, choice of line color and thickness, choice of font ...

Taking in account the large number of users complaining about this module in the forum and in IdeaStation, I would expect AutoDesk to be a little more concerned on improving it.

Luiz

O.Tan
Advisor

You can search my thread post something along the lines of "an honest plea to Fusion developers" 🙂

TMC.Engineering
Collaborator
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

@EndlessFilmProduction Thanks for your feedback; you're among the many who have voiced the need for more 2D drawings functionality. We hear you loud and clear, and are working hard on making the 2D drawings workspace more robust and well rounded. 

On this specific idea, you will see symbols palette in text and leader text in tomorrow's update (June 22). Other drawings features included in tomorrow update are: 

• Title block auto-populate
  • Title block insert image
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Multi-asset support (model and animation exploded views)
  • Move command improvements
  • Pre-assigned layers and migration of old drawings
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
EndlessFilmProduction
Contributor
Hey @keqingsong This is great I love how I can use this forum to get things I need and help sculpt a product for the people. There is just 1 symbol you left out I need. It is the Unilateral Symbol. It communicates a very specific thing that I need in my design. That was the last symbol in my comment however It is really the one I needed the most. The others I could use abbreviation for however this is a symbol that needs to be in the feature control frame for proper GD&T dimensioning.
EndlessFilmProduction
Contributor

Unilateral and Unequally Disposed Profile Tolerance [ASME Y14.5-2009 Section 8.3.1.2]
- See more at: http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-terms.php#sthash.0AQDEHnB.dpuf

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report