Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

Ability to reference Driven Dimensions

I have a driven dimension in a sketch, which I would like to be able to use in a calculation for another parameter, but there is no way to reference this.  It does not show up in any way under the "Change Parameters" dialog or have any named reference that I can see.

248 Comments
harvid22
Advocate

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to have driven dimension, if you ain't allowed to use them in the Parametric table.

FIX The Driven Dimension.jpg

Totally agreed (though I'm amazed you can actually use parametrics in sketches at all tbh. That literally never works for me

TrippyLighting
Consultant

This idea is already in the idea station tagged as Future Consideration

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/ability-to-reference-driven-dimension...

Beyondforce
Advisor

I can wait for this to happen!

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@Beyondforce it's coming when it works so god knows when

Beyondforce
Advisor

I don't understand, the Inventor guys did it, why not just ask them for help? 😄

daniel_lyall
Mentor
different code base it just takes time
Beyondforce
Advisor

It's like this Bolted Connection for Autodesk Fusion 360, this guys figured out how to do it 2 years ago 😉

tiktuk
Advocate

I was looking for how to name driven dimensions only to find out that they can't be referenced at all 😟 . One more vote from here!

This is a thing that I'd lump into the symmetry / design intent engine that I wish F360 had
daniel_lyall
Mentor

that paramater would be d18/(100*25)

ylevine
Advocate

+1

nstevelmans
Advocate

Hi all,

is there any update or workaround to work with reference dimensions.

i was planning to build a parametric stair.

Driven dimensions captured in parameters list.PNG

ericschimel
Advocate

+1 to this!

amandaghassaeiS8KA2
Participant

In sketch mode you can reference dimensions in other dimensions. When a dimensions is referenced by another dimension, it is displayed with a "fx:" in front. The dimensions are linked parametrically this way. However, when you do the same thing with a driven dimension, no link is created. Changing the driven dimension will not propagate to the reference.

screenshots attached

daniel_lyall
Mentor

yes, It is coming. If you can get a tonne of votes it may get done faster

HughesTooling
Consultant

It already has a tonne of votes.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/ability-to-reference-driven-dimension...

I guess voting for this request will get added to the other request so I get 2 votes.Smiley Wink

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please. Don't replace driven dimensions with values at the time of editing. Makes it impossible to tweak parametric designs by toggling driving/driven dimensions. Constraint solver needs some work

«Constraint solver needs some work»

This is a wildly diplomatic understatement

ylevine
Advocate

+1 really need this feature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report