Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Trim in Sketch

Parametric Trim in Sketch

While sketching a profile to be used in 3D, in order to create an empty region that will be easily picked for the 3D operation we often use Trim, however, trim a sketch entity makes it lose its parametric constrains, constrains that would be useful for later modifications to the profile.

My Idea/suggestion is that when an sketch entity is trimmed the entity becomes a construction line retaining the constrains and the untrimmed portion of the entity becomes coincident to the construction line. So, changes to the constrains of the construction line update the untrimmed portion. Obviously, this wold require that the trimming element would also remain as a constrain.

An implementation of this would be a line at an angle, say 30°, that is intercepted by an horizontal line, I want to remove the portion of the angled line that is 'south' of the horizontal line, so I trim it. Say that latter I wan to change that angle to 45°, maintaining all the rest. With my idea this would be something very simple to do, that wouldn't requiring resketching that portion.

3 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

@Pedro_Bidarra

I try to understand what you mean but fail to do so.

The nice part about parametric sketches is that you really don't need a trim tool

because of the auto fill ability in Fusion unlike in Rhino or Alias where you need to

trim and align profiles.

Could you post some screenshots or mock-ups?

Pedro_Bidarra
Collaborator

@cekuhnen, Well, right now, yes, using Trim makes our life more difficult because of the lost constrains, so there is little reason to use it. However, this can result in the profile you want to use in 3D to be sliced up into multiple profiles that then you have to pick one by one for the 3D operation, it has happened to me that I've forgotten one of the profiles, normally because they were too little for the zoom level.

mhreed
Explorer

I think another way to phrase this is "Trim to construction" - i.e. the trimmed portion of a sketch entity is converted to a construction geometry that maintains relations, instead of the trimmed portion being deleted altogether. I swear I've used this in another CAD package, but I can't for the life of me find the program that supports this functionality. 

In any case, I whole-heartedly support this idea. I was actually coming to post this exact idea, and I'm glad I searched the IdeaStation first. 

@cekuhnen I'll agree it isn't strictly necessary, but when you're setting up a model to be modified-by-parameter, it would be an absolute godsend. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report