Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no limit to zoom in

no limit to zoom in

Hi all

I have great deal of problems with the ability to not being able to zoom more in.

it might sound stupid, but it means a lot when you're projecting in a sketch, and cannot see (or even fix) any gaps in the profile

Why not just let us zoom forever? or at least so that 0.005mm fills the entire screen?

thanks! think it should be easy enough to implement, right?

cannot.png

12 Comments

Yeah that drives me insane (though may not as easy as you'd expect because they've done something odd there; still worth figuring out either way though)

PTERRY
Enthusiast

I agree. I also want to define the cursor size so I can pick smaller things without spending so much time zooming in and out.

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

Hi Coscor_NPL,

Thanks for your feedback, we will look into this, as there are a couple of strange behaviors in our camera zoom when you are zoomed in too tight.  Not sure how easy or difficult this will be to implement.  Will follow up after our investigation.

best,

Jamie

Coscor_NPL
Advocate

Hi @JamieGilchrist

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds great you will look into this.

I really hope this will be accepted since I have a LOT of small parts that needs 'tweaking' in order to assemble correctly, CNC correctly, or as stated sketch correctly...

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk

Hi Coscor_NPL,

yes we are looking at this currently and evaluating what the possible impacts would be, performance especially around larger size assembly models.  We will likely do this, it's just a question of the scope of what we can do.

best,

jamie.

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

So we have made an improvement for the upcoming late September release.  We've changed the camera zoom clipping from 0.5mm to 0.05mm.  We did not go to infinite zoom in order to keep a balance of zooming into a level that is usable, and not paying a big performance tax.  Hope this helps and would like to hear you feedback after the update on this.

hope this helps.

Jamie.

Thanks, @JamieGilchrist !

Definitely an improvement, but still smells bad (and makes me worry about the underlying datastructures) that there is a limit

Coscor_NPL
Advocate

Looking forward to trying it out! for sure that will help! will try it out when it comes and give some feedback

DubManufacturing
Contributor

I do some really small engraving and am frequently hitting the limit! Please give us more!

becdel
Participant

I too have started having major problems with zooming in. If you can't get to the level of detail you need you can't work. It's that simple.

When I started looking on the forum I could not believe how long it has been talked about. People seem to love new additions and want new stuff added all the time but those of us trying to get a job done need what we have got to work properly.

I had a large factory layout that was always a problem switching to Orthographic only only seems...................to have fixed that model.

Has a fix to this been posted somewhere that I have missed?

I’ve been using it since it was an Autodesk lava project.

F360 has been so nearly great for so long, but it never quite gets there.

There are a lot of reasons for that but number zero is that they still so far as I know don’t use naive testers.

Everyone testing it including the evangelists and developers has learned to avoid all of its weak points, so those never get exercised and never get fixed.

There is also a big shiny ball problem. I love new features too, but I need complete, robust, reliable features more. New stuff is useless if the foundations aren’t solid, and doubly useless when it’s never fully realized beyond something that can check a box on marketing material and demo well by someone who has built exactly the same design a hundred times.

It’s great that I can do half as sed drawings and half asseed sheet metal and so on, but I’m about to waste my weekend slowly rolling back versions of a design that developed pathological geometry and then redoing a bunch of work instead of being productive

I should be singing the praises of this app, and I do recommend it to people sometimes still because there aren’t many macOS alternatives, but I have to add ridiculous warnings and caveats because it’s still a minefield of gotchas that crop up when you can least afford them.

The short of all that is that the zoom has never been fixed and so far as I can tell will never be fixed. Ditto scene navigation and dozens of other basic things people need to actually get work done.
becdel
Participant

Thanks.

At least I'm not going mad and zooming was a problem and still seems to be!

Switching to Orthographic on my particular Model seems to have fixed it. I can't make it fail now and I have changed nothing else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report