Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MUST HAVE: LINE MIDPOINTS!!!

MUST HAVE: LINE MIDPOINTS!!!

Whoever is the lead programmer for Fusion 360, please add midpoints to sketchlines!! pleaseeee! lol. Inventor has it where you can sketch a line and rollover the line and the midpoint will appear. Midpoints are extremely useful. I know there are workarounds, but thats just WAYYYY to cumbersome and really disrupts the workflow.

I would gladly bribe anyone who can get that feature in Fusion 360! Name your price! Well..I only have $30 in my bank account. lol. But pleaseeeeeeee. I beg you guys!!

12 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

BrienKing
Advocate

Unless I am missunderstanding what you are asking for, this exists today.

Follow the line until you see the Triangle symbol.  That is the mid point.

What would be really nice is if the mid point worked between segments.  Right now if you draw a line to a midpoint on a line, that line is still considered a complete line.

Clipboard Image (45).png

cekuhnen
Mentor

actually it does work between segments!

but what I would love is being able to simply snap without the auto constrain creation!

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 2.38.07 PM.png

BrienKing
Advocate

Fusion doesn't know about midpoints on a line where another line intersects it.  See below:

original.png

cekuhnen
Mentor

Oh I see you mean interative midpoints based on interactive subdivisions. Thats handy.

In Rhino it is done via the smart guides

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2S1ZIM284M3NVNG8/view?usp=sharing

wmackay84
Participant

Im the OP. Although these are amazing ideas, I think most of you misunderstood. If you sketch a single line on a plane, you cannot see the midpoint of the line at all. Even the "triangle" symbol that indicates the midpoint doesn't appear.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 11.29.53 PM.png

So what is the work around? You can select the Point geometry from the sketch pulldown, then rollover the line to find the midpoint symbol, and then add it. Like so:

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 11.37.45 PM.png

But do I really have to go through all this trouble of adding midpoints to line sketches? Actuals points that are Midpoints are VERY useful when sketching. You can do all sorts of visual referencing, constraints, etc.

BrienKing
Advocate

Ah, so you basically want to be able to reference a "Virtual" midpoint without having to create a point.

I agree, that would be nice.  I do find myself adding points in order to add constraints to center things vertically and horizontally.

wmackay84
Participant

@BrienKing Exactly. Autodesk Inventor has that feature and it does wonders. But right now I am pulling hairs out trying to cope with the shortage of features in Fusion. lol.

anonperson
Advocate

Sounds like the kind of thing - "Display midpoints" - that would be useful as a toggle-able option in the display settings.  When it's on, everything displays midpoints.  When it's off, nothing does (eg current behaviour).

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea - this is getting changed to future consideration and is in our backlog.  Once work is started on I will change it to accepted.  To confirm, you can currently constrain to the midpoint using the midpoint constraint and when you add geometry to a sketch a triangle appears indicating the midpoint.  What I am saying is the future consideration in the ability to reference the center point with other constraints like vertical, horizontal...

Cheers,

Mike Prom

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

@wmackay84,

Thank you for your idea.  Line midpoints have now been implemented in Fusion 360.  You can dimension and constrain to line midpoints.

http://autode.sk/1orlXYY

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Hey all,

After we implemented the ability to constrain and dimension to midpoints we got a lot of feedback from users that they were now having a difficult time constraining to the line or dimensioning the length of line segments. It seems the midpoint was taking priority. We are working on a solution to the issue. In the interim we have added a modifier key. In order to select midpoints while you are dimensioning or constraining you must hold the SHIFT key. See the Screencast below. 

http://autode.sk/2aG9pWV

Feel free to reply with concerns or comments. 

Maritza Garcia

Fusion 360 Experience Design 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report