Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include option for rights notice when sharing digital files in Fusion.

Include option for rights notice when sharing digital files in Fusion.

When sharing a design from Fusion 360 it would be great to have a location for a “rights notice”.  If we want to attach a legal notice (a copyright notice or other legal statement) to a design we distribute through a public or private link, there isn’t now a clear way to do this. 

Many of us might want to license designs under something like creative commons, but many others might require a license notice or a notice that the design is proprietary.  Our primary licensing agreement, for instance, requires that such notice be given whenever we share proprietary information with our licensee/ partner in any form. Failure to do so risks our intellectual property and our income from our work, so this is something we need to take seriously. It’s easy to do this if we share drawings, but when transferring digital files a click through notice, or  pop up, would be highly desirable. There is already an option for password protecting content, but that in itself doesn’t imply any rights status. 

This might also be a useful place for notices of design limitations or cautions that you want to be more prominent than appended notes. 

This is inspired by discussion in this forum thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/attaching-an-enforceable-copyright-statement/...

4 Comments
Alluvian
Participant

I like this idea, but it seems like it would be limited to partners who use the same software as the designer.  If you intend to take your part to a metal shop or a third party 3d printer, then they will almost certainly want the file in a more generic form, such as .stl for a 3d printed part, and I don't even know what for a metal fabricated part.  This export would kill the link between the rights notice and the design.

The existance of a restriction is by no means a reason to not lead the way by implementing a feature like this though.  Definitely upvoting!

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

I think the idea is that if you use Fusion’s built in sharing links to provide access to a file, the recipient would need to acknowledge the rights notice (or at least see it) before being allowed to download. And recipients are able to download from Fusion’s sharing in the full variety of file types, no one I deal with is using Fusion (yet). 

Fusion’s sharing is extremely useful in part because the recipient doesn’t need to be a Fusion user, or even a CAD user. I have used this function to provide a visual image of design goals to a PCB layout designer, for instance. 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

@Oceanconcepts,

Thank you for your idea, this is getting archived due to the nature of the idea.  We are working on the ability to have permissions on projects, folders and files.  Limiting access to users when people share files.  The legal requests that you have in the idea are up to the customer to control and it would be very difficult to automatically regulate. 

Regards,

Mike Prom

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Mike, understood. 

I do want to be clear that the legal / rights notice I refer to is just intended to be one example of how a freeform notes space on the password click-through might be used. Obviously it’s up to the user to control the content. I was just suggesting there be a space where one could append a note that must be clicked through to access a password protected file for download. 

Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report