Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the Measure Tool- additional snaps

Improvements to the Measure Tool- additional snaps

This is a repost of the original idea from 2013 here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/improvements-to-the-measure-tool/idi-...

The idea is this: Have the Measure tool use snaps as the Joint tool does- so if you want to measure the distance between the center point or quadrant of a cylinder, arc, hole, axis of a cone, or sphere and another point you can do so without needing to create additional construction features or sketches.

Autodesk has marked the original idea as implemented, but this aspect has not been.  We still cannot measure between the center point of a hole or a cylinder and another feature. We can’t measure center to center or quadrant to quadrant of a cylindrical body or hole without creating construction features we don’t otherwise need. 

The measure tool should provide snaps to:

1. arc/circle center points
  2. curve/edge midpoints
  3. Arc circle, quadrant points
  4. Cylinder/cone axis
  5. Sphere centerpoint

As an illustration of this problem, say I need to measure the center to center distance and the overall length on this simple part. 

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz011.png

This kind of thing would be a very common activity for me.  In other systems, this would be a two click operation, in Fusion it would involve multiple steps- including creating construction elements or sketches I don't otherwise need and that clutter the interface- and a real interruption to the workflow. I can't get the measure tool to select the appropriate points. The Joints tool can find these things- why not Measure? 

This is not so much of an issue if you are working in parametric, sketch driving designs, as you could just measure the sketch. But for those of us working out our ideas directly, in direct modeling particularly, this is a big shortcoming. 

-Ron

6 Comments
O.Tan
Advisor

I perfectly understood what you mean and as an addition, Fusion needs a shortcut key or sorts to "Lock" the plane as sometimes we want to measure things on a plane and because of certain conditions we're unable to select the points.

O.Tan
Advisor

Sometimes I feel that Fusion team should use other tools like SE to get what some of us mean cause conveying our points is difficult without one having used other system first, haha.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/enhancement-snap-to-centre-of-hole-ci...

I think you'll be able to relate to things like this but apparently it's now "solutions provided", though I admit my initial post wasn't clear enough

maritza.ga
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

maritza.ga
Alumni

We have this planned for one of our March updates. Stay tuned! 

AmishSolanki
Advocate

Can't wait, measuring from a center point of a hole to a edge, or to another center point is something that I've wanted for a while.

Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report