Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle display of tool holders in CAM

Toggle display of tool holders in CAM

With the latest Fusion 360 update, the sample tool library has every tool completely decked out with tool holders. While I would agree that running the CAM simulations with a tool holder provides that extra layer of collision prevention, it's a pain in the backside to have to deal with it in the CAM workspace. Please provide us with the means to turn off display in the workspace, much like there is in the simulation.

There is already this idea on the Fusion IdeaStation, so I figured I'd try to get it in front of a different segment of users

And because we all love pictures:

2017-01-22_05h42_44.png

33 Comments
ARTHUR-HM
Collaborator

When in the CAM workspace, I often find that I want to quickly view a toolpath by clicking on the operation so I can see exactly where the tool is lining up. The issue is that when I have a tool holder assigned to that tool, it gets in the way. As far as I can tell there is no way to turn the holder off unless I go into simulation and view the tool path in there, but that is far from ideal. I suggest an option to hide it, maybe in view tool bar at the bottom center of screen. That would be fantastic. Or even mapped to a keyboard short cut would be even better.

Here is an example of the holder in the way...

large.png

I've voted for this, and I've also made a similar post over on the HSM forum

jeff.pek
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support
jeff.pek
Community Manager

@jeff.pek @al.whatmough can merge the two.

Steinwerks
Mentor

So if I vote for this one, I get two votes! Smiley LOL

I wish the CAM tagged ideas in the Fusion Ideastation would show up here but I don't know if that's a capability of the forums.

Tony
Enthusiast

Unsure if this has been discussed at all but "unlocking" form tools would be useful. due to the nature of programming a form tool there should be no need to lock it from any uses as this is the point of form tools i thought...

I have a form tool as you can see in the picture, used for external and internal chamfers, but yet when i select 2D chamfer and that tool its goes RED and wont let me use it, the only work around is to play around with a sketch and use 2D contour, more hassle than is needed if the tool was unlocked and able to be used in the 2D chamfers.

Thanks

Steinwerks
Mentor

The 2D Chamfer toolpath is sort of a misnomer though, as it does take tool form and model geometry into account.

This isn't really about unlocking tools, it's about utilizing tool geometry and that's just not in there yet, especially for form tools where currently a drive point is used and everything is run from centerline (IE HSM does not currently use form tools as a 3D tool, just for visual/stock feedback - or at least that is my understanding).

porsbym
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Seeing as we already have ticket CAM-2814 on file to change this behavior, I will go ahead and accept this idea.

As Seth mentions this is now more of a problem than it previously was since more tools now include holders.

We want to add more general visibility and appearance controls in the UI, but it's a somewhat larger project and I think that maybe we should just change Fusion to have the same behavior as Inventor HSM, which is that: Selecting an operation previews only the toolpath. To show the tool you need to select the tool node also.

Would you be OK with this change for the immediate future, or would you miss having the tool shown always with the toolpath preview?

/MArk

@porsbym

I would be for your suggested change for the immediate future.

Personally speaking, I would miss the visual assurance that the tool provides. Simply flipping it up to Top View and making sure that you've led off the part an appropriate amount. Since the only tool I really borrow from the Samples library are drills, I'd also want to be looking at the side view, making sure clearances are correct, depths, break-throughs etc.

I'd say to leave the display as it is. I have my own endmill library (for the most part) and they don't have holders associated to them. But that's just me

----EDIT----

Currently, I can just create a tool without a holder and obtain the clarification and assurance I prefer without the clutter of the toolholder in the way. Turning off all display seems to be too far of a solution, as no one is able to see anything (and there is no other means of assurance) until moving into the Simulation mode.

PeteDregz
Enthusiast

I agree. The holder is cramping my workspace. Is there a fix for this?

Steinwerks
Mentor

Personally I don't want the tool displayed when the toolpath is selected. That's what Simulation (stock on or off really) is for IMO. I just want to see the toolpath. Perhaps it should be an option in the Settings so someone can set their preference and be done with it.

PeteDregz
Enthusiast

I agree. We should be able to have this option somewhere in our settings or preferences.

porsbym
Autodesk

We are discussing an alternative solution for the interim: Simply make the tool transparent (like when the transparent option is enabled in simulation), but still show it along with the toolpath.

Would this be acceptable?

We still want to add a UI for controlling visibility in general, but as I mentioned this is a larger project and would come later.

/Mark

I would say that's an acceptable middle ground
Steinwerks
Mentor

I guess if transparent is a quick fix that's fine but I sure hope that's not how it ends up forever.

porsbym
Autodesk

It's a quick fix until we get around to adding a UI concept for choosing what to show/hide. Not just for tool/holder, but various other aspects as well.

al.whatmough
Alumni

@Steinwerks is correct.  Toolpath kernels run on a set of known tool profiles.  

Form tools are only supported in instances where you can drive a tool along a path.

The good news is, what you are looking for is a solvable problem.  However, is needs to be solved by creating a dedicated tool type.

Can you do me a favor and create a new idea for backside chamfering.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report