Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Kill Process Comand

Force Kill Process Comand

I write this with a spinning wheel of death in the background.

When Fusion hangs and lags for what seems to be an indefinite period of time, and you find yourself staring at the unfeeling spinning wheel of death and knowing there is no way to take back control other than a force quit. Instead of potentially wrecking your hard work for the gamble it was saved, what about a "force quit process" using the "Command . (period) keys"? to stop the last command and regain control? 

This would be very helpful and much appreciated.

...and now to force quit Fusion and hope that the work was saved.  

10 Comments

+10

friesendrywall
Collaborator

I am afraid the problem is deeper.  I think F360 is missing a proper crash handler somehow, and once there is an unhandled exception or other stack overflow or whatever happened, there is no programmatic way to regain control.  

cekuhnen
Mentor

yeah so needed!

El8ias
Advocate

@friesendrywall, would this then be more of a bug to report than a feature to add? both? 

friesendrywall
Collaborator

I am saying this is OS controlled, the only way for Fusion not to do it is for it to get fixed.  Somewhere there are missing try catches, or who knows what.   So I'd report them as bugs.  The only way I can think of to implement what the OP is suggestion would be a separate fusion process monitoring the main, but at best you probably won't get your files back.

El8ias
Advocate

Ok, good for crashing.  

My original thought was if, say in Sketch, I try to use a pattern or mirror tool command and then F360 just hangs and hangs as it tries to process, It would be cool if there was a key command to cancel that process so we could try a less intensive solution.  Is that the same as needing another layer to monitor F360 as you described?  I can see how that would be an overall OS issue. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We are currently working on this with the ESC key so that you can kill process that is taking too long or crashing. Right now, we're working on making it work for Compute All, fillets, and some other modeling related solves. We still need to investigate the work for sketch solves since Fusion has different solvers for different workspaces/environments. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over a year on is there any progress? ive been waiting 20 mins from me accidentally moving a line with some crazy maths attatched to the constraints to the other elements in the sketch. 

kyle2D35M
Enthusiast

An alternative would be a prompt saying "the following action is estimated to take X minutes to perform, would you like to continue?"

Jormdaworm
Community Visitor

With infinite computing power still not in view, I would like to request this to an elevated priority. I lose way more time than I'd like to admit to unfortunate line movements with crazy math attached, to the point of considering different software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report