Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliptical Radius option in the fillet tool!!!!!

Eliptical Radius option in the fillet tool!!!!!

I would really like to see an Eliptical radius option added to the fillet tool. The user would have two dimensions to enter for the elipse, and x and a y to define the lenght and height of the radius of the elipse.

As an example I am designing a project that has a solar panel, the panel is epoxy coated. It does not have a constant radius, rather one that tapers. In the previus software I used (Form-Z) this is what I would have used to create the Solar panel. This would be a super addition to the fillet tool and provide users with some great additionl flexability.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 5.49.04 PM.png

18 Comments
eric.strebel
Collaborator

As you can tell my spelling of the word Ellipse is incorrect, if someone could edit that, that would be great.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

cekuhnen
Mentor

pretty support that - that goes in line also with offering:

chors option

weights for G1 G2 etc

and if possible also G3

The fillet tool is there from the beginning and over the past 2 years did not get any update making it one of the most  underserved and basic tools.

nogeelen
Enthusiast

I support any enhancement of the fillet tool.

But I also agree with cekuhnen about rhe other features/enhancements we are waiting for.

Especially the chordal fillet option (in other software it is called "fixed with", "distance berween rails" or similar) is crucial for advanced product design and was promised as "on top of the list" of fillet improvements ages ago!

Norbert

cekuhnen
Mentor
Yeah this fillet is so crucial
jakefowler
Autodesk

Chordal fillet is coming for July 🙂

ChFillet2.png

cekuhnen
Mentor
Yes super!
nogeelen
Enthusiast

Fantastic news!

Norbert

eric.strebel
Collaborator

Wonder if this Elliptical radius will ever make it as a feature??

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

As Jake mentioned we added chord length fillet with allows you to make a "Eliptical" fillet.  This is why the idea is being changed to implemented.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

ericfehlberg
Participant

NOT implemented. The chord length fillet is awesome! But it's not what's being requested here. Additionally, I would still love to see a 3 radius, or conic fillet. 

eric.strebel
Collaborator

@promm agreed with @ericfehlberg Elliptical is not implemented. Not even close.Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 7.52.56 PM.png

cekuhnen
Mentor

@promm @jakefowler I think what @eric.strebel talks about is not the chord length but the ability to give weight options to the A and B side of a fillet.

This particularly is a must have for serious fillet work where I not just round and edge with a software predefined shape but sculpt that shape of the fillet aka secondary surface with more control.

Here I make a secondary surface with the loft command which for a blend surface gives you those weight tools.

Note the green surface being the G2 option for a fillet making it still look more like a G1 with a smoother start but maintaining

the flatter mid area.

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 9.37.55 PM.png

eric.strebel
Collaborator

@cekuhnen Yes, serious fillet work! I could not agree more. @promm

See example of the variables that need to be controlled for this.Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 9.44.23 PM.png

cekuhnen
Mentor

@eric.strebel Wait - the right fillet edge should not be tangent ?

eric.strebel
Collaborator

@cekuhnen It would be excellent to have that ability to control that tangent as well ! 🙂

cekuhnen
Mentor

@eric.strebel ah I see. 

ericfehlberg
Participant

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.30.55 PM.png

On the far left are the G1 and G2 fillets currently available, in the middle are conic  and ellipticals, which are made differently, but generate basically the same geometry, ans on the right are the G1 and G2 versions of the ellipticals that eric.strebel was originally requesting. All would be good to have, along with a G2 and or even G2/G3 version of the conic fillet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report