Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit dimensions from outside a sketch or feature

Edit dimensions from outside a sketch or feature

I would like to be able to see and edit dimensions associated with a feature without entering the sketch or feature.

Explanation:

Right now in Fusion 360, I have to remember which feature or sketch a dimension is a part of (since they are treated separately), then either double click the feature/sketch in the timeline, or right click and choose edit.  The timeline rolls back temporarily, so you only see what the model looked like when the feature/sketch was created.   Then double click the dimension to edit it.

In Solidworks, I can click on a feature in the tree or on any face that is a part of the feature in the model, and all the associated dimensions will appear on top of the model in its current state.  Then I can edit any of those dimensions with a single click (or a double-click for no rebuild after).  Total of 2 (or 3) clicks, with little to no extra time spent searching for a particular feature earlier in the tree.

268d802a0e5142f886b2cc9d74902ca5 2d715d8eab1f4547be3f96a640ac27ae

To be clear, the main issue here isn't the number of clicks, but the lack of information about a feature within the context of the more complete design.  Solidworks lets you edit a feature early in the tree, without taking you out of the context you're in when you decide to make the change.  Fusion 360 forces you out of that context, temporarily rolling back to the sketch/feature in question, making it harder to predict the downstream effects on the rest of the timeline.

I know that in the example I give here, I can just use the push/pull tool to modify that height in Fusion, and it changes the height within the extrude feature (which is awesome, by the way).  But I think that even on something this simple, it helps to see the other dimensions in that feature at the same time to help you dial in your changes.

Thanks!

-Eitan

(This idea was proposed over a year ago, but it got archived due to having too many ideas in one post: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/improve-viewing-of-information-about-...)

13 Comments
kb9ydn
Advisor

YES!  Being able to edit without explicitly rolling back time, and reduce mouse clicks would be a huge win!

C|

HughesTooling
Consultant

There is an option to show sketch dimensions without rolling the timeline back, does that help?

tool2.png

Mark

kb9ydn
Advisor

Interesting!  I didn't know about that option.  That's definitely on the right track but it's still not any faster because you have to manually turn it on and off by selecting it from a menu.  Not only that, you have to go find the right sketch in the tree instead of just single clicking on a model feature.  That can also be quite tedious with a complex model.

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

In Solidworks, I can click on a feature in the tree or on any face that is a part of the feature in the model, and all the associated dimensions will appear on top of the model in its current state.  Then I can edit any of those dimensions with a single click (or a double-click for no rebuild after).  Total of 2 (or 3) clicks, with little to no extra time spent searching for a particular feature earlier in the tree.

This is so basic I find it hard to understand why it has to be asked for.  The time line as it is actually inhibits design.

kb9ydn
Advisor

It has to be asked for because Autodesk has decided to reinvent the wheel from scratch.  So it will take them some time to build in all of the features that other wheels already have.  As annoying as it is (and as much as I like to complain about it LOL), there really isn't any other way to do what they are trying to do.  It's just going to take time.  Solidworks has had 20 years to get to where it is now.

What would be interesting is to compare a really old version of SWX (like 2000 or so) to Fusion.

C|

echer80111
Participant

Thanks for all the responses.  Mark's suggestion is interesting, but as kb9ydn said, it's not really the solution we're looking for.  One of the main benefits of parametric design is to be able to make changes to early geometry and have it propagate through.  Solidworks gives so much context every time you click on anything, making parametric changes super streamlined.

It seems that one of the great things that comes with Solidworks's 20+ year history of slow but steady improvement is that every task can be done in multiple ways.  But this makes it really, really hard for Autodesk to satisfy everyone who is trying out Fusion, since we all have our own widely-varied workflows.  As kb9ydn said, this is going to take time and support from this community.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that this gains enough traction to be considered!

keqingsong
Community Manager

We want to do this, but we foresee to be a ways out. There are still many things in the sketch experience we need to fix, improve, and stabilize. The solver for one needs better performance and stability. We've made progress there, but still needs work. I'm gonna let this gather more support and let other people chime in. Thanks for all your feedback guys! 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

thanks for the idea and votes! We have this as an future consideration. In the mean time, you can see your dimensions and edit them when in 3D mode. Here's a gif to show you how to do it. 

dimensions_3dmode.gif

jrinad70
Enthusiast

yes, echer is correct.  To edit a feature it should be as easy as selecting the feature on the screen and then double clicking on it (or just double clicking on it ) and have its dimensions pop on the screen for editing.  The features already highlight when you hover over them them, so why no allow one to just double click on it for editing?  Of course I've been using Pro/E (Creo) now for some 25 years, and it's had that ability from the get-go, so maybe I'm just used to it.  No, its just the easiest why to edit a feature.  Seems SolidWorks functions the same why.  I strongly vote for this ability.

Rich

bejoscha
Advocate

Showing 3D sketch-dimensions is great, but unfortunately, many (of my) sketches are full of auxiliary geometry and confusing lines. So displaying the sketch 3D makes a real mess which is hard to read.

While not solving the original request, this could be much improved if there would be two more show/hide toggles for 3D sketches, so that there are four toggles in total

- Show/Hide dimensions

- Show/Hide profiles

- Show/Hide auxiliary lines (all dashed geometry)

- Show/Hide sketch lines (all non-dashed geometry)

Actually, being able to not show auxiliary geometry would also be a nice feature for regular sketches.

petrol_junkie
Advocate

This got my wote without a doubt.

One of my biggest complaints about Fusion, and yes I´m a daily Solidworks user at work, is that simple design changes just gets tedious with bunch of clicks and the constant rolling back and forth  of the timeline really cripples the workflow.

And since you need to "open" a feature or sketch to edit its dimensions it just adds unnecessary time to your work process.

Yes I saw the "solution" above, but you still have to go to the tree, find the right sketch and set it to visible... 

By my opinion... overall the Fusion 360 user gets alot of mice milage. 🙂

Please prioritise this....

dumbmail101
Contributor

I'd like to throw in my vote of support for this as well. As most of my work is done for 3D printing, I find the current dimensioning setup extremely limiting.

For example, only having the ability to dimension a sketch and not an extrusion is very limiting. I freely admit I'm a total noob at Fusion, but this seems like it would be an absolute basic concept. I spent way too much time searching for an answer, and to find it doesn't even exist shocked me. Apparently it's a standard feature in most other programs like Solidworks.

I have struggled with the running back and forth on the timeline, searching for the right sketch or other modification to find what I did two months ago. As a casual user it's annoying as heck.

If I were using this in a professional setting I'm pretty sure lack of this feature would would certainly be on my short list of reasons to move to another platform, it seems like it would be a basic feature, not something we have to beg for consideration ... :-}

HughesTooling
Consultant

Not sure if people know this (all the talk of finding stuff in the timeline makes me think maybe not), if you right click a feature on the model there's the option to edit the feature or edit the feature sketch. It would be nice to have the option to show the sketch and it's dimensions as well though.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report