Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF File Format

DXF File Format

Hello Community,

i have experienced a common problem with my designs. While exporting DXF-Files from sketches, they are useless when opened with a third party program. I found a workaround on the forum that works. The basic problem is that Fusion uses the highest version of the dxf Format, but a lot of other systems can´t read that. So it would make things much easier, if it would be possible to choose which format will be used to export the dxf.

5 Comments
promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

@steffen-kraft,

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  We have a list of improvements that are in our backlog to improve dxf export including but not limited to saving to previous version, adding colors and assigning layers.  Right now we are exploring the customer experience with the access options we have.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

ryanc1
Contributor

what is the workaround? Not being able to export to a useful DXF format pretty much means that none of my designs are able to be manufactured. pretty frustrating. 

steffen-kraft
Explorer

Hello Rynac1,

I found the following workaround on the Forums, but can´t find the post right now...

at first I export the sketch you need as an DXF. Then you open the file with QCAD (community edition is for free) and save it again. QCAD is able to open the file, but saves it in a lower dxf-standard. After this process, you can open the file with the most programs.

Cheers

Steffen Kraft

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 vote for the request to be able to export to different .dxf formats.

Currently I have to export, save, then re-open with my old version of AutoDesk QuickCAD 8, then save as AutoCAD 2000 DXF in order for the file to work with my Torchmate software.

Initially I was disappointed to have to go through all that, and thought I was missing something, but it seems that is as good as it gets.

Here's to hoping it gets resolved in future versions.

Dave T.

sdavyS6579
Community Visitor

Yes please. A tick box in the preferences panel perhaps so that different standards can be selected. A class of full of students trying to laser cut their designs from Fusion and having problems with laser software crashing or not opening their designs correctly. Not good for my ticker.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report