Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

direct download of fusion archive without waiting for emails

direct download of fusion archive without waiting for emails

I can understand that if I want a step export or OBJ export that the file has to be generted first

but sometimes you wait some time for the fusion archive download link to arrive via email

thats when you are under time pressure not ideal.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.50.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.58.46 PM.png

8 Comments
daniel_lyall
Mentor

yes please

HughesTooling
Consultant

Don't forget the data on the cloud is not going to be an f3d file so it has to de translated anyway. If all designs were then going to need to be saved twice one for the cloud data and again as an f3d\f3z there would be a lot of redundant data that would not be used 90% of the time.

Mark

cekuhnen
Mentor

@HughesTooling

I understand that - however I think this could be better solved via a wait dialog for the file which when processed will be downloaded.

Download many files in Google Drive - they zip it first and then notify you.

For large files there can be an option then still to use an email notification.

Google does it this way as well.

kb9ydn
Advisor

A simple wait dialog on the download page would be far preferable to email notification, even if it takes 30 minutes.  Going through email just adds extra work for absolutely no purpose.

C|

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi Claas,

If you are working with individual designs (parts), you can export it locally using the File->Export command to generate a F3D, SAT, Step or IGES file without any wait.

The email workflow is primarily for F3Z (distributed assemblies) or other file formats (like IPT, OBJ) that we can only translate in the cloud asynchronously today. I'm sure we can improve the workflow, and the comments have great suggestions.

However I'm making it a future consideration because I know that there are too many higher priority data management projects ahead of this (like Delete/Recycle bin, Cross project distributed designs etc.) so this won't get worked on in the next couple of months.

Thanks

Bankim

cekuhnen
Mentor

@charegb

The problem with the build in version is that it has no OBJ or STL export for everything in the design file.

I have to go part by part ...

gmwi
Advocate

Also correct the file type extension when emailed. As it stands, the file type has to be added to the file manually. 

willgibbonsdesign
Contributor

Yes. I want to share my frustration with this. Is the OBJ export literally something that can not be performed locally though F360? I rely on OBJ export for my work and waiting and not knowing how long it will take is really sub-optimal can can cause the missing of deadlines. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report