Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a sketch to a new design

Copying a sketch to a new design

Currently there is no straightforward way to copy a sketch to another design

Copy and paste would be very convenient

9 Comments

+10 no-brainer

HughesTooling
Consultant

I guess you're asking for the ability to select a sketch from the browser and copy\paste to a new design, not just select all in a sketch you're editing then paste into a sketch in a different design as you can already do that. 

Something that could be a problem is that in the new design the plane\face the sketch was made on will probably not exist so you'll need to select a plane in the destination design. The problem here is have you tried using Redefine Sketch, it is pretty useless as the sketch usually ends up in the wrong orientation so that will need fixing before copying sketches between documents will work.

Mark

How is that any different from pasting 3D geometry ? Either way you have to specify the position and orientation

HughesTooling
Consultant

That's OK if they give us all the options, just wanted to make sure we don't end up with something useless like redefine sketch plane. It been broken and complained about for several years.

Mark

sanguish
Advocate

I'd like to be able to copy and paste between designs. I've not had a total nightmare with redefine sketch, but I've only used it a few times and with very limited intent.

I think needing to select a plane before pasting would be necessary. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is definitely something we want to get to, and is also closely related to http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/copy-sketch-to-another-plane/idi-p/58.... There are some ground work we need to do first before we get to this, so marking this as future consideration. 

hjsanders
Enthusiast

I Export sketches as DXF and then Import them into new Designs.

roderickhogan
Contributor

Yes please!

engineeringNCMXB
Collaborator

This idea is describing BLOCKS in Solidworks - a great feature that I used all the time in Solidworks. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report