Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add subtitles to documentation & tutorial videos

Add subtitles to documentation & tutorial videos

Autodesk makes copious use of videos for documentation and tutorials.  None of them have subtitles.  A lot of the information is spoken. 

I -- along with millions of others -- have hearing loss and trouble understanding speech when I can't see the speaker (or their mouth) and it's about an unfamiliar subject. (Turning up the volume just makes things louder, not any clearer.)

As one of millions of people with hearing loss (half of which are still in the workforce) videos are not very useful to me without subtitles.  Without being able to use the videos as intended, learning is much harder than it needs to be.

6 Comments

AD if you need someone to do the closed captioning, perhaps try Caitlin Hein ( sorkaa at sbcglobal.net )

matth
Advocate

it would be really awesome if they partnered with videobreakdown.com where you can leverage AI to provide a contextually rich way to interface with the video. this ai and Autodesk screencast should be the standard for video-based instruction.

I watch and digest visual studio toolbox videos in this Microsoft garage project. 

my two cents.

llriggs
Community Visitor

I am completely deaf, so I cannot hear ANYTHING at all. The videos are nice, however there are clearly times when there is no visible action in the video but there is clearly some spoken dialogue I am missing. The action continues with me being left to try to figure out the context of that portion of the video.

If it is worth telling your audience on voice, please tell it also in text via subtitles. 

cymaspace
Community Visitor

Very disappointed in the lack of accessibility without captions on all training videos. Hey Autodesk team, you could be at risk for a law suit for not being in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities act. Please get your act together and add captions!

This is all the more disappointing when you realize how easy it is to add captions to videos.

Hopefully you would actually care and do more than this, but upload the video to YouTube, let it auto-caption, and export the .srt file. In terms of effort, it's almost free - you just need the will to do it.

tug12884
Observer

I'm very disappointed to see that there are absolutely no subtitles on any training videos too. I am deaf and have a degree in engineering. I was very motivated to learn to use Fusion 360 out of curious. Now I have to read all instructions or find a video on Youtube. I cannot believe that Autodesk didn't provide any accessibility for their products with many hard of hearing and deaf who could use Autodesk products. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report