Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Component LIbrary

Virtual Component LIbrary

The ability of creating a virtual component library so that I can quickly add frequently used virtual components to my assembly already completed with the desired iProperty information

22 Comments
jhunt107
Enthusiast

I do love the idea of a quick access library, but did you know you can copy and paste virtual components from other assemblies. I recommend creating an empty assembly with a library of your virtual components.

jletcher
Advisor

Did you know this can be done using ilogic and a excel spread sheet?

I have over 50 virtual components in my excel now that is ran with ilogic.

If you would like information on how to do this drop me an email.

mthomas
Collaborator

iLogic and Excel is an excellent idea, I will try that out

jhunt107
Enthusiast

I should have mentioned this first. FYI: I am currently not recommending Virtual Components to a client of mine because iProperties are only pulled from the first assembly used into a Vault "Item". If someone uses the same virtual component in a different assembly then changes the iProps they will not be updated on the Vault "Item". Instead I have them insert and ground an empty part.

However your ilogicspreadsheet idea sounds interesting jletcher, I will consider that.

DVDM
Advocate

Workarounds? Fine, but there's still a need for a standard content library managed centrally, not this 'load up a template file' business.

MDS-MQ
Advocate

I have always used a "dummy part" Fill the I-properties in and leave the part blank (no model). This way you can add the part to the library and reuse it in as many places as you like.

Go Old school, long before the marketing driven software was conceived.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

RCHDUMA1
Contributor

It would also be nice if you had the ability to add them to a bom if needed.

mikeh7
Collaborator

We found Virtual Components to cumbersome to use from day 1 and didn't play well with Vault and was a unique work flow to create them.  I personally don't want any development dollars put towards it.  What we opted to do as a work around is create word models for these.

Take Grease for example.

What we do is create a model which contains extruded text .001 tall.  It gets full iproperities and even an IDW.  As we have the model iproperties populate the IDW all the way through the Items in vault pro.  It's treated as any other part and can be pulled into any model and constrained.  We can run a revision on them just like any other part and you have a functioning where used in Vault should the grease get discontinued or a better grade...........  So for all bulk items (grease, chain, cable, oil....) they're treated just like any other part we make with the exception that the qty is overwritten on the IDW's part list.

The only downside side is a partial quantity does not pass on to Vault Pro usage as it turns it back to a whole number.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

We will no longer leverage the "Under Review" status, so I am setting this Idea back to Gathering Support.  -Dan

Dan.Schlosser
Participant

We have a library of virtual parts we insert into our assemblies for things we would not typically create a model for, teflon pipe tape, silicone RTV, loctite, etc. They consist of empty part files that only use the iproperties to populate a BOM. Our standards call for the QTY of these items in our BOM to be 'A/R' (As Required). We have to manually override these with the static value in every assembly it is used. They are often overlooked & released with a QTY of 1.

It would be nice if there was a way to assign a user defined Static Value at the part/assembly level that would automatically push to the upper level assembly's BOM. Possibly a new BOM structure named 'Virtual' with the option to define your required static values.

Tags (3)
thom-g
Advocate

@Dan.Schlosser: good idea! Personally, I would prefer the name "Bulk Material" for a new BOM structure.

Quote from our ERP system: "... A bulk material is a material component to which you have direct access at the work center (a loose material, such as grease or washers) ..."

swalton
Mentor

The functionality is almost there.  If we could use a text user parameter as the unit-of-measure in the ipt Document Settings, I think that would work for this issue without creating a new BOM structure.

RdeBrouwer
Explorer

I would like to have a library for these components, becouse we use them on a regular basis in our models.

We add parts that need to be in the BOM for ordering them together with the modeled design, the virtual parts can differ between multiple assemblys.

One way to do this is by opening an assembly with all the virtual parts we use, then we copy them into our designs. The disadvantage to this, is that the model makes new parts if you copy multiple times. We need to copy the first item added to our assembly to get them stacked in our BOM. Also if someone checks out the main assembly, we cant add new parts to it.

Copy virtual components.JPGCopy virtual components 2.JPG

The other way we can add Parts to our BOM is by adding an part without any shape to our assembly, but we need to ground and root them, so they dont interrupt the views on the drawing.

dsbogan90
Enthusiast

It would be nice if we had the option to set a parts BOM qty to A/R (As Required) for things whose quantities don't matter. Currently I use an "A/R" static value in the assemblies BOM; however, it can be missed or forgotten and could become confusing when getting quotes or parts built. It would be nice to just add this to the library part directly. 

Below are a couple of examples of times I would use this feature to clarify why it would be a nice add-in for these purposes.

1. Tubing lengths which would be determined depending upon whom installs them. If I'm using 1/4 in flexible tubing I don't want a qty of 50 when it's going to come on a roll and used as it's required and cut to length each time.

2. Adhesives, Teflon tape, thread lock, etc. which I want used in certain areas or on certain fittings/fasteners. If I'm looking for at the drawing I want to make sure to call out that this set of fasteners need thread lock or that these pipe fitting require a special thread tape.

Tags (1)
leowarren34
Mentor

Especially when the BOM is either quantity and or dimensionless, just the option to use from bulk.

Maybe a new bom structure called bulk/as needed?

dsbogan90
Enthusiast

@leowarren34 This don't see why that wouldn't work.

Dan.Schlosser
Participant
leowarren34
Mentor

Cheers  @Dan.Schlosser They could be merged.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report