Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Printing - PDF Export - ALL PAGES

Inventor Printing - PDF Export - ALL PAGES

When using the built in Print to PDF function in Inventor, or any other print function, the default option should be print all pages, not just current page.  Many times we work with multi sheet documents, and printing only current page as a default results in lots of messed up printouts.  Since the settings are not visible without pressing the options button (compare to MS Word 2010) we don't think about the trouble we are getting into until its too late. 

Thank you,

jvj

54 Comments
tdtimmons
Explorer

To set print range on "Print All" on a single page.

1. Open the file.

2. Add a sheet.

3. If needed set print settings to "All Sheets and Best Fit."

4. Delete second sheet.

5. Save as to template.

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

When exporting to pdf as default it only pdf's one sheet so you have to go to options then all sheets this can be easy to forget and end up with one sheet instead of the whole drawing. Please add pdf all sheets as default.

ic198
Advocate

Great idea- this catches me out (nearly) every time

There are only 6 options- I think they could all be on the main Save As window rather than having to click the options button and open a sepwrate window. It wouold remove two clicks from the process and also provide an easy reminder about whether you are exporting one or all pages.

Oncew again, AutoCAD seems to do this so much better (same with the Print window)

Baishihu
Advocate

I like this idea.

A.Gieck
Participant

..I posted a similar Idea about a month later and I was just notified of this entry.. basically I'm aiming in the same direction.

PDF Export menu needs to be more flexible

DMusich
Advocate

Apparently nothing has ever come of this? Still can't set it and forget in 2015.

Baishihu
Advocate

I also vote for A

Stephan.Jensen
Explorer

Hi,

Is the session determining the setting or the template? It sounds to me that one of the suggestions was to set "Print all pages" in a template and use that. Is that correct? We have a problem that we use a 3rd party product to automatically print Inventor to PDF, but it uses the default setting, which is unfortunately using "First Page".

Also, can someone tell me if there is an option to enforce PDF/A standard with Inventor? Should I start a new thread with that question?

Also my vote is also Option A.

Stephan

AndyWallace
Advocate

I vote for Option A also. The number of times Inventor remembers what I don't want, and has no memory of what I do want, is frustrating and adds up to wasted time in my workflow every time I use it. It's disappointing to surf the user forums at Autodesk and find that people have been asking for such basic features for years, yet they remain unimplemented. If I could edit a registry setting to always default to "all sheets, remove line weights, 1200DPI" someone, please let me know.

Andy

Nanette.S
Explorer

It would be so nice if they get this done at Autodesk

It is really anoying when you have to do these settings every time you export to pdf

-niels-
Mentor
Closterman
Contributor

Option A for me too.  And please Adesk, do this change ASAP and do a Hotfix for that. We can't wait a SP to fix it....

ccamara01
Collaborator

Limitations such as this one are getting really old...

WHolzwarth
Mentor

How about using the Exchange App SmartInventor Easy Export? That should do the task.

Walter

ccamara01
Collaborator

Wh:

Great idea with the Easy Export app!!

However, in all my excitement I just spent 45 minutes trying to make it work, and found it to be nothing more than an exercise in frustration and time-wasting.

***Edit*** Maybe I didn't configure the .INI file, and that's the problem?

WHolzwarth
Mentor

Yes, Curtis, some initial configuration is needed (In Drawing environment Tools->Options-> Easy Export Configuration).

It works ok here. One click for file output type selection, another click for ok after export is done. It's fast and reliable

ccamara01
Collaborator

Thanks Walter.

I've "sort of" gotten it working.  I have PDF's set to export to my local drive's Windows desktop, however they export to the root directory of the network drive that my project file is located on.

I have "Export PDF" set to C:\Users\ccamara01\Desktop

Instead, PDF's export to:

X:\

I have also restarted Inventor and my workstation a few times.

Curtis

gta3005
Explorer

Almost 3 years after this was posted and it still catches me off guard from time to time. This needs to be changed so that theres an option of keeping the All Sheets option. 

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

So, all this time later, my company, and skills regarding Inventor have dramatically changed.  First, we grew and got bought out.  Next I started working with Inventor API.  I have since written a tool that will batch print PDF using Inventor's PDF export sub routine, and forcing it to print all pages.  Problem is if I do so without allowing the document to be 'viewed' it will omit gobs of text (leader text, dimensions, table text), on a random error, then Inventor get's stuck that way until you close and reopen all of Inventor.  I bet there's lots of Inventor API programmers who've seen the same.  Next, if I do open the file for view, it attempts to recalculate everything, setting half of my assembly weights to N/A.  So just turn on Defer update, right!  Yet now Inventor insists on poping up a 'you have defer updated turned on' message that the user must press OK to.  What a drag.  I was even given a method to block popups, but then Inventor just refused to operate properly at all.  Where does that leave us 2 years and 8 months later, with the ACCEPTED solution?  Same place we were, waiting for the fix.  No, really, I am an optimist.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. The Default Print range remains set to "Current sheet" however once it is changed (one time - via set it and forget it), the last used setting will persist on all future exports. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report