Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Member Naming

Frame Generator Member Naming

I think it would be nice, on a per project basis, to have the ability to set a file naming convention for all new frame members in that project.

Currently we name all frame members the same, and those names come from the COntent Center, but then I RENAME them as they are being placed, so that they include the job number as a prefix.  That way I avoid having duplicate filenames in Vault, AND... more importantly, it makes the so much easier to copy using Copy Design.  I can simply do a find and replace from the old job number to the new job number... very quick if the job number is there.

So... it would be nice to have some sort of box where I could specify a prefix to be added to all new parts generated by FG was they are placed.... it gets a bit tedious renaming hundreds of pieces of steel at a time.

26 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

For myself, I'd just like to see Frame Generator and Content Center handle the parts in the same way.  Why doesn't Frame Generator use the file naming convention set in the CC table?  Why, when I have the CC part template set to default BOM quantity to "Each" does Framegen insert that part with GL as the quantity instead?

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
This is something that the team has brought up in the past
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US-50792] is under review by the development team.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i agree that the user should be able to opt in or out of a naming scheme like this.

there was a free little non vault copy design type of program that was delivered around inv 2008 that had functionality that we still do not have access to in the new versions of inventor or vault 5 or 6 years later.

there is still a lot of manual work involved today.

i suggest the focus of development is based upon these topics instead of shiny stuff.

just saying.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [402]. Thanks!

FireBallFab
Advocate

I use frame generator 99% of the time I use Inventor. When creating a new frame I would like to see the New Frame File Name and the New Skeleton File Name by prefixed by the assembly file name - the assembly has to have a name to create a frame anyway.

In the very least, it could be a running number after the "Frame" and "Skeleton".

Frame Gen - New Frame Dialog.png

Tags (4)
khosking
Enthusiast

A simple prefix/suffix tick box added for this functionality would be great.

sulb
Explorer

With the frame generator file naming and skeleton naming, and each member naming always starting at 0001 in each assembly we have conflicts in Vault. Please add a feature to make the files named with a random number similar to the tube and pipe routing pipe segments. This would allow for the parts to be created and checked in to Vault without carefully renaming each member of a frame.

CADDapult
Advocate

I agree with sulb. Having to manually rename every single Frame Generator component to avoid problems in Vault is ridiculous. It's a time-waster that should be done automatically.

hugo.trepanier
Advocate

Yes! This feature could be very usefull. I would like to be able to add a project number for example inside the naming convention. This feature could help to use a Vault unique filename. I need to disabling this feature inside Vault, because it's too long to name individually each frame member outside the vault.

Please add a feature for this and also for Tube and Pipe and bolt connexion!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
smilinger
Advisor

I agree.

And not only for frame generator, please also do this for all the Design Accelerator components, especially screw connections, etc.

smilinger
Advisor

Good to see this idea accepted, although I still don't see this implemented, I want add some more:

Please do this for all the Design Accelerator components, especially Screw Connections. And also consider other autogenerated components in Inventor. People always tend to accept the default file names generated by inventor, and it becomes a nightmare when you have to load years of such design projects into Vault.

saainsworth
Advocate

We are now running Inventor 2016 and I still don't see this implemented.  User control of and tools for using a prefix or postfix filename scheme seems like it would not create great difficulties to implement.  What's up?

saainsworth
Advocate

Yes, Options for Prefix or Suffix and then a serial number for the frame members. It would be great if you could choose from alpha or numeric serial numbers.  Also better control of part numbers.  I would like an option that makes the part number the same as the filename.  It seems like these options are mostly available in things like the vault copy design dialog. 

AlexFielder
Advisor

I train new users of Inventor (and other CAD systems such as Catia/Solidworks) on these tools a lot and I am struggling to come up with a good reason as to why we are still needing to remember to rename ANYTHING created with the Design Accelerators inside of Inventor.

Alongside the "Prompt for Filename" there ought to be a "prefix parent filename" option or something along those lines.

Thanks,

Alex.

brotherkennyh
Advocate

Have I missed something? This feature was accepted in March 2013 and is still waiting for implementation.

DRLTKSE
Advocate

100% agree with this. Frame generator and vault should play nice!!

martin.zatecka
Autodesk

We are hosting a discussion on this topic on the Inventor Beta forum and would appreciate your feedback: link to Beta forum

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

If you are not already a member of the Inventor beta community, come join the fun here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report