Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Tables similar to Excel

Make Tables similar to Excel

We require Excel to use Inventor so why don't Inventor's tables work the same as Excels?

e.g. (off the top of my head)

• F2 to edit the cell  (personally REALLY miss not having that)
  • when editing the cell with F2 have Ctrl+left/right to skip words
  • Enter to finish the cell and alt+enter for a new line within the cell
  • merge cells?  (not sure the need, but would help with copy/paste betwen Iv and Excel)
  • borders like Excel

also, while talking about tables - line-breaks in titles, is that in yet?

17 Comments
bsee1
Advocate

My hope is that this is implemented both on the user side and the api side.  Right now the api for a table is worse than terrible. 

Hopefully tables will support features like strikethrough, bold, underline, etc for text within them.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

Text wrapping in headers would be nice.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US-169637] is under review by the development team.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-169637]. Thanks!

rscherich
Explorer

Would be nice to add colums w/o having to make a header or even merge cells together.

basically anything you can do in excel you should be able to do in the tables.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

I would like to see a custom parts list creator that includes all of the functionallity of Excel.

I like all of the automatic functionallity of the parts list command, I would just like the ability to customize it.

Thanks

Tags (2)
apmendes
Explorer

Please give users the ability to lock row heights and column widths in drawing parts lists and tables.

Tags (1)
sparweb
Enthusiast

I am having the same difficulty.

There also appears to be a new behaviour in Inventor 2017 that alters the table row height in a drawing template when the template is used for a NEW drawing, causing the table to re-size itself.  If row heights were set by the user, rather than part of a formula set by multiple style settings, it would be possible to avoid this problem.

shiva
Explorer

insert options in table creation feature with more cell format style for eg wrap text which we have in Microsoft excel.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

teyink
Participant

Autodesk needs to add Excel functionality into their general tables for merging cells, text wrap, etc.  These are just basic needs to make the general tables usable.

Hunteil
Collaborator

Having that Merge cell feature would be real nice right now in my family table. 25 lines could easily be 5 lines.... So either I make a new table with no intelligence to update certain values automatically or leave it with 25 lines and have tons of repetitive data and piss off every person reading this down stream. 😕

Guess I'm making a custom table with no intelligence to update automatically to these values when they change.

And it would be nice to have it auto round these numbers so it could still be the same number so us engineers can return and see accurate numbers. Like 0.83485" but displays as 0.835" (This can be done in excel too). We use these real numbers to keep things live so we can come back and then only show the shop the rounded values...

Please add more functionality.

joshua.bergerA5Y5L
Contributor

In 2020, we still do not have this available. To get one table formatted correctly, we are creating 4. That is the definition of (bad) workaround. This has been implemented by competitors, so it can't be that hard. 

RYWei
Explorer

8 years!

sunny_8848
Advocate

支持合并单元格。

bbgustaf
Explorer

We create allot of drawings that have multiple options. Allot of times within a specific product there are additional multiple options. As it is now we have to created Sketch symbols to create these Tables which is time consuming to create and edit them. It would be a HUGE bonus if we could import an Excel spreadsheet with merged cells into an Inventor table that allowed/displayed merged cells.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

As to cell merging, this idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2025. Please review the Inventor 2025 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report